We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safer snorkelling

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Safer snorkelling

A recent story about a snorkeller who went missing from a dive trip and was lost at sea for 4 days has got me wondering how many people don't realise the potential dangers of snorkelling without making sure that someone knows where you are ... especially the staff in charge of an organised snorkel or dive trip.

We are not allowed to discuss details of the incident for some reason but please, please, please everyone MAKE SURE IT CANNOT HAPPEN TO YOU. Stay close to a buddy and make sure the boat does not go back home and leave you there.

Wid

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safer snorkelling

...That is a very useful point to re-inforce, I hope we all take note whenever enjoying aquatic pleasures, in our favourite Islands , especially as we cannot apparently discuss ontoward incidents here with " millions of travellers just like me sharing honest reviews" so that we can " decide where to go and what to avoid"

While day dreaming of our favourite blue and white images in Grey Britain, we must never forget how quickly things can go wrong in the water.

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safer snorkelling

.... precisely.

Wid

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safer snorkelling

Well said Wid, i for one have never noticed a guide count how many people have got back on the boat after snorkelling, i know sometimes you have to give room numbers before you get on the boat but do they check if they have everyone after snorkelling?.

Suzanne.

lincolnshire
Level Contributor
319 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safer snorkelling

Great post Wid

.For many people their first visit to the Maldives is their first taste of snorkelling ,& what a fantastic experience... but often the saftey & the dangers are unknown,especially the strength of currents around the islands(Fiha for one has strong currents) Must admit there was little or no warnings about snorkelling saftey on any of the 3 islands we have visited.

Sue

ps a shame previous threads were removed/closed as they were relevent to saftey issues .

Marden, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safer snorkelling

Can anyone recommend a snorkelling vest/jacket/belt? We are strong swimmers but sometimes one of us would wear a life jacket when going further away on our own, just in case, but they are very uncomfortable and ride up as you swim.

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safer snorkelling

Sue

You have hit the nail on the head. I have had a PM from someone who has already been to the Maldives and was hoping to do their PADI course at Fiha in March. They have now been scared off and will stick to snorkelling. If the original discussion had been allowed to develop, I'm sure a more balanced view of the whole thing might have prevailed. Care is certainly needed but it's an utter shame that people are being put off through fear of the unknown, which comes from hiding the truth.

Wid

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safer snorkelling

It crossed my mind ( brief trip!!) in future if I hear of any sad occurences , I will always endeavor to contact the resort or Island Independently for some reassurances, If this is not forthcoming I may remain unconvinced and less likely to book. Maybe package tour providers would prove to be very helpful in these matters. :)

herts
Level Contributor
270 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safer snorkelling

Hi, just like to say

when i went to Reethi Beach 3 years ago( it was the first time to the Maldives) the dive centre was great they gave all the guests advice on the snorkelling and the dangers of currents the need and reason for wearing fins etc.It was so helpful they really wanted you to get the best and safe experince.

We then went to Angaga although had a super time there I was glad i had the advice the year before because it was up to us to mention currents and ask questions etc.

Off to Mirhi in feb can't wait.

Julie

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safer snorkelling

bucklebugs

You have a point there.Perhaps there is another forum, where one could find out about such incidents?

Wid

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safer snorkelling

..... a forum like that would really be useful , for visitors ,concerned as much about vital safety issues , as the colour of the Spa walls or which water bungalow faced the whalesharks. :)