We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MV ORION liveaboard

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
320 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
MV ORION liveaboard

Hi

Has anyone been on this liveaboard around the islands? We have booked after reading a review on a scuba forum. we have been lucky enough to secure one of suites on board so really excited. any comments from previous guests?

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
320 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: MV ORION liveaboard

Hi globetrotter. I posted back in march after a week on Monsoon followed by a week on Orion. So can give you direct comparisons if required. Both have pros/cons but depends on your requirements.

UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: MV ORION liveaboard

Thanks any info would be appreciated. Regards Priti

Brisbane
14 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: MV ORION liveaboard

We are a 62 and 65 year old couple (who have dived for many years) and looking to join a vessel in mid January in the Maldives. We would prefer a high end (luxury) dive boat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It would also be nice to meet some divers in our age group

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
Save Reply
34. Re: MV ORION liveaboard

hi everyone

i have spend one week from December 10th to 17th in MV Orion

WOOOWWW ... thats how i can start my review. it was a great diving trip. from start to end everything was in gd order. we been picked up from d airport n transported to the boat immediately and greeted by Lovely Mary ( Alexs mother who is looking after the guests in d boat, who is always super helpful n nice to see her smile all the time ). everything was well organized from Day 1,

we started diving from day 2 , 3 dives per day , usual plan is morning dive ard 630am then breakfast then second dive before lunch ard 12 then lunch n evening dive ard 4 pm . after dives chilling with few drinks with other divers n sharing stories. that's the same plan for the day except one 2 days we have nite dives n one day island BBQ.

usually there is dive briefing before every dive and very helpful. during our trip Alex was leading the trip n it was great to have him on board. Alex is the owner of the boat n he is really nice guy, always with a smile n sociable person. you can approach him for any help n he is very knowledgeable abt diving. also he leads the dives most of the time. Ksenia his lovely wife also with us during the trip but didnt dive coz she is expecting her first kid.

also rest of the crew also very helpful. and the barman Wicram is nice to chat after dives :)

And the best part of the trip is of cause DIVING.. is was awesome ... all d fish u know wil be there waiting for u. with all big big names like Whale sharks, other reef sharks, Mantas, Eagle rays , Turtles, .. and we dive in few wracks also. and some dives sites simple out of this world with beautiful soft corals n hard corals.

i was with 2 of my frnds and we r early 30s from Singapore, i (only 50 dives + not so experienced in diving :) ) was only been in a live onboard 1 time before so really cant compare but i guess it was one of the best in Maldives i am happy , wil come back for sure.

Only negative thing i can mention is dive guide( Mario ) who looked after our group is grumpy n arrogant, didnt looked after the group well, he left behind 2 dives in one dive and they change to different group later. during the evening chats with rest of the group i feel everybody was not happy abt him, i feel he is only interested abt single lady divers lol. hope things wil change or he wil change his attitude before i go back :)

final word- super nice boat n crew, and awesome diving

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
81 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: MV ORION liveaboard

We were on the MV Orion in December 2012.

The boat is well decked out and of a good size and even with over 20 guests and 10+ crew, you'll always have your own space. The food was good and sufficient (in fact sometimes too much). Internet is available at an extra charge. Under the lovely Mary's supervision, the crew ran like a well oiled machine Service at the resturant, bar and housekeeping is prompt and friendly. Our room was comfy and we were pleased with the bath - good size and good water pressure. The room is made up by the time you get back from the first dive and towels are changed daily.

Excluding the Boat's Director Alex, there were 2 dive guides Mario and Aya. We were 'assigned' to Mario but soon realize that he could so ruin our vacation. My husband and I are novices with about 20 dives prior and had bought a complete set of new gears for this trip. We were told there will be a test dive to make sure the gears are OK etc. NOPE. With Mario, it was jump and go, and keep up if you can. And he is fast. People in the team constantly find him hard to follow. The next day at a channel dive where teh water was choppy and currents were strong, we were the last two to jump into the water after waiting for a couple of divers to be handed their camera. By this time we were about 15 meters away from the rest and in a less than ideal spot where the current was working against us. Despite a fast attempt to decent and catchup, Mario and the rest were way ahead and at least 15 - 20 meters down. With the strong current against us, we decided to abort the dive. The best part was, when Mario got back, we said we wanted to have a chat about the aborted dive. We said that the boat's captain advised that we had eneterd in at a bad spot, and with the current, we couldn't catchup so we decided to abort. Instead, he blamed us for not desenting fast enough. That took us by surprise and we were less than happy. He ended the conversation by saying: "Go dive with someone else then". We changed to another dive guide after the incident. I later noticed during another dive that Mario left one of his team still above water when he was long gone..typical. Let me also add that the boat's captain said that Mario constantly ignore suggestions and sometimes choose to jump into the water at less than ideal spots. Mario's dive briefings were generally sloppy (also confirmed by a dive shop owner who was on the trip with us) and worse, he often deviates from the plan underwater. So even assuming that Mario may have good knowledge of where to see what, we believe he has little regard for divers' safety and his arrogant attitude makes him an unsuitable dive guide.

But thankfully, our experience with the other guide Aya was highly enjoyable.

Mario aside, the dives were fab. Maldives has so much to offer and the MV Orion crew goes all the way out to get to the best sites. They even chased the Whale Shark relentlessly and gave us the opportunity to get super close. Nitrox is also free of charge.

Our overall experience was great. We are extremely grateful to have met a group of very friendly divers from all over the world. We learnt more from them in a week than the course put together (thanks guys). We would highly recommend the MV Orion.

Finally, we have 2 suggestions:

1) Divers' certifications should be checked - ours were never checked. Everyone was put on Nitrox from Day 2, but I am not even sure if everyone's

certified.

2) Mario 'no-no' - if you are a novice or someone who prefers a relaxed dive, make sure you don't go with Mario. If you are a seasoned diver..go on your own (or another dive guide). Either way, avoid him like a plague.

36. Re: MV ORION liveaboard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, January 22, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
37. Re: MV ORION liveaboard

Brian,

May I suggest you do a little bit more research on MV Orion, as your comment is incorrect.

Settle, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: MV ORION liveaboard

Here we go again.....

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
39. Re: MV ORION liveaboard

Brian,

I personally know all the management of MV Orion, and I do not know the person you have mentioned above in your comment. Your comment seems to be personal attack on this person and maybe does not belong on this thread.

Settle, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: MV ORION liveaboard

Personal attack? Absolutely not!

Just giving advise to others as I see it! Isn't that what these forums are about?