We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

largest island

Devon, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
305 reviews
149 helpful votes
largest island

I have just begun to research a holiday for Oct 2010, it is my 50th, I love snorkling and swimming and sunbathing, unfortunately my husband doesn't like swimming!!! He does love boats and boat trips. He is happy to sit on the beach for a couple hours then likes to walk to bar for lunch and walk out in the evening to eat. He loves Barbados because you can walk for hour plus along beach and stop for drink and plenty of restaurants for eating. I want to visit Maldives or maybe Seychelles if it is better option but am worried he will be bored in Maldives. Also not sure about the weather????

London
Level Contributor
2,323 posts
78 reviews
65 helpful votes
1. Re: largest island

The largest island is Gan which has Handufushi and Equator Village on it and it is actually big enough to have roads. The next largest is Palm Beach and after that is Kuramathi. I guess is 'big' is what you want, then I would recommend Kuramathi. It is big enough for lots of dimensions to it and they have a free little golf buggy taxi service that ferries you about if it is just a bit too far for you to walk in flip flops. But lots of other islands have lots of activities to do even if they are smaller in size. Club Med is renowned for having a smorgasborg of activities at their resorts. Others have been especially inventive. You might look at Kuredu which managed to creatively squeeze in its own little executive golf course (go figure).

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

Devon, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
305 reviews
149 helpful votes
2. Re: largest island

Thanks I will go and investigate, what is the weather like in Oct?

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
70 reviews
232 helpful votes
3. Re: largest island

Hi

Both Meeru and Sun Island are larger still in terms of square footage. although I agree that Handufushi is probably the longest resort island in the Maldives at about 4 km.

The large islands are generally "busier" and offer a wider range of activities - both in the water and off it. Boat trips tend to be much of a muchness eg trip to near by island, trip to deserted island, dolphin watching, fishing etc.

If your hubby likes to go for long walks and visit different restaurants etc then the Maldives are perhaps not for him. Some islands do have more than one restaurant but they not veryfar apart.

OD

oslo
Level Contributor
365 posts
4. Re: largest island

Check out Island Hideaway -

it is pretty big, and lots of beach!

http://www.island-hideaway.com

regards,

;-b

London
Level Contributor
2,323 posts
78 reviews
65 helpful votes
5. Re: largest island

I don't think Meeru (550,000 sq/m) or Sun (600,000 sq/m) is bigger than Kuramathi (1,250,000 sq/m), but maybe my stats are incorrect.

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,178 posts
30 reviews
82 helpful votes
6. Re: largest island

Where did you get your stats Bruce? According to MondoMaldives, Sun Island is the biggest at 704,000sq/m; then Meeru at 650,000 sq/m. Kuramathi comes in at 375,000sq/m. Palm Beach is 513,000 sq/m. But as we all know there are lies, damn lies and statistics!!!

SL

By the way have recommended your website to loads of people - would be great if you could get island maps for all resorts.

London
Level Contributor
2,323 posts
78 reviews
65 helpful votes
7. Re: largest island

Thanks for the clarification and support. I take the square meterage when it is explicitly provided by a website or other reference. Otherwise, I simply multiply the width by the length for a rough approximation, though obviously islands are not rectangles and so this will over state the size at the very least, more so for oddly shaped islands. I will reinvestigate the sizes, but for most purposes the sizes in the database are good enough to give people a sense of small, medium or large. It's only that this particular forum post was looking for the very largest.

On the dive maps, I am limited to what Tim Godfrey has available and he does not have certainn atolls covered. On the maps of the islands themselves, I have emailed every single resort where I am missing this and asked for one, but have gotten weak response. I'll keep chipping away at the missing ones. If you come across any island maps that I don't have, please forward on so I can include them. Thanks!

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
28 posts
91 reviews
197 helpful votes
8. Re: largest island

We have just returned from Irufushi (Noonu Atoll) which was amazing. We were worried about the weather but didn't have one day of rain! We also love Barbados but weren't bored in the Maldives and would highly recommend it. I note you went to Mauritius last year which we also did and think the Maldives is so much better.

If you want any further information please pm me.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
15 reviews
80 helpful votes
9. Re: largest island

Sun Island would be my choice for you

mal-dives.com/maldives/…

Big modern island .. lots to do , beach all the way round the island so it would be a good walk round .. South Ari atoll so good snorkelling and diving

Simon

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
29 helpful votes
10. Re: largest island

Hi SB

I would forget the weather, thats not an issue, they dont have Huricanes in the Maldives,

I would also recomend Sun island, largest of the Maldives islands, walk aroundable, bars to stop at choice of restaurants and lot and lots of things to do, pool , snooker games sports even Golf, boats and trips.

The first time we went i was dreading it very much like your hubby,---how wrong was i, couple of books i-pod sorted.

Get it booked.

Hope this helps or need more just ask.

Cheers

Rumps