We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emirates Cancels Return Honeymoon Flight Schedule

Wash, DC
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Emirates Cancels Return Honeymoon Flight Schedule

My fiance and I were? (are) excited about our upcoming wedding at Reethi Rah and honeymoon leaving in less than 9 days. However, not to the resort's doing, but just this past Friday we received noti fication from United Arab Emirates that our flight leaving the atoll from Male to Dubai

is cancelled. This is the only airlines that serve the island. The

only alternative we have is to either leave the day before we had planned (therefore missing out on a night and 1/2 day the next day that we have PREPAID for and sitting at the Dubai airport for 6-8 hours) or extend for another expensive night and add up cost for changing all of our connecting flights. FYI... This flight was booked weeks ago.

Has anyone had this experience with the airlines and how was it handled? We have called Reethi Rah and they were helpful in a sense that they were willing to let us add the additional night stay (of course now we are over our budget).

Just beware beforehand when considering your travel plans with this airlines. We are at a quandry on how to proceed.

Any other's out there had this experience or a similar one and how did you handle?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Emirates Cancels Return Honeymoon Flight Schedule

Batman and Robin ... to clear up this confusion, there can be weddings in Maldives but it is not recognised by British law. The Banyan Tree in Maldives do "underwater weddings" (still interested Batman?) but this is not recognised by British law.... Wonderwoman

Toronto
2 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Emirates Cancels Return Honeymoon Flight Schedule

Thanks! We are aware that the wedding is only a blessing. We would have to be married elsewhere for our marriage to be legal...I have contacted City Hall in my area. I am a US citizen, fiance is Canadian. Basically, just wanted to know about flights to the Maldives from US/Canada and wedding experiences at Reethi Rah.

Wash, DC
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Emirates Cancels Return Honeymoon Flight Schedule

Yes, you are correct that is was not a legal-binding service. However, what we did was do a quick "justice of peace" service here in the U.S. just before going on our trip and did the "real" service at the resort. This is what we consider our wedding. It worked for us and we consider that our anniversary, etc.