We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which are Top 10 Best Resort Reefs?

INDIA
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
7 helpful votes
Which are Top 10 Best Resort Reefs?

I am planning to go to maldives again in Feb 2010 the secound time, first i was there in Feb 2009 at Kuramathi Cottage. This time i want to go to resort with some good reef with beautiful corals, so that i should enjoy snoerkelling. Please guide me to a good resort, which should serve vegetarian food also.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,872 posts
25 reviews
42 helpful votes
1. Re: Which are Top 10 Best Resort Reefs?

most resorts do a good job catering for vegetarians.

the 3 best reefs i think are generally considered to be kandoludhoo. mirihi, eriyadu - in that order.

also very good are athuruga, thudufushi, angaga, lily beach, vilamendhoo, angsana ihuru and W resort.

London
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
79 reviews
111 helpful votes
2. Re: Which are Top 10 Best Resort Reefs?

I'm very interested in this question as well. I'm not disagreeing, but I am curious what you think makes the Kandoludhoo house reef #1? #1 in the Maldives is quite a distinction.

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,872 posts
25 reviews
42 helpful votes
3. Re: Which are Top 10 Best Resort Reefs?

yes indeed, Bruce... kandoludhoo has been not been harmed in the '98 el nino due to lucky currents.. so while the other reefs have had to recover from severe coral bleaching, kandoludhoo looks just like the maldives used to. to my knowledge its the only actually intact reef in the maldives. its generally considered the number 1 reef because of that.

its full of huge table corals and just impressive..also easily accessible.

however.. several of the other reefs are recovering nicely and are quickly catching up again.

INDIA
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
7 helpful votes
4. Re: Which are Top 10 Best Resort Reefs?

Many a thanks for your views, i am trying to get the availability and prices of the top 3 or 4 resorts. But if you can advice from where i could get the best deal. Secoundly i want to be at resort for 3 to 4 nights. Do some resorts have minimum stay at resort for 6 or 7days or so.

thanx.

Cheltenham
1 post
5. Re: Which are Top 10 Best Resort Reefs?

This year (2009) my wife and I were lucky enough to stay on Athuruga and we also visited its sister island Thudufushi for a day.

Athuruga was fantastic and the house reef is very accessible. The Italian animation team lead reef snorkel swims twice a day. Equipment is available included in the holiday cost but it is not all in the best condition, so it is worth taking your own mask and snorlek.

There are strong currents that sweep around the atoll and so it is best to swim around with the current and not to swim alone in case you get into difficulty.

The diversity of the fish is amazing and there are regular visits from a turtle. The Titan trigger fish is also very tame but not to be approched too closely.

The parrot fish have amazingly vivid colours. At the dive centre, you can look up the fish you have seen in the library of books.

My wife is not a good swimmer and had not snorkelled before, but by the end of the holiday had swum the entire length of the house reef and was mesmerised by the spectacle on the house reef.

Our visit to Thudufushi showed how erosion can degrade a reef. On the day we visited, the water was not very clear and the bar area had been shored up with sandbags to prevent the building being flooded. The resort is beautiful with some lovely flowers, art and wood carvings. The reef just did not compare with Athuruga except we did see some blue trigger fish which we had not seen at Athuruga.

We would thoroughly recommend Athuruga. Most of the animation team are Italian speakers.

Howard and Mary

6. Re: Which are Top 10 Best Resort Reefs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 01, 2010