We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maldives IS expensive but is it worth the price?

Southern United...
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
72 reviews
Maldives IS expensive but is it worth the price?

Hi all,

As many of you will know My hsuband and I have booked to have our vows renewed in Maldives in November next year and now i seem to have last minute jitters. Just wondered if anyone else experienced this????

Am feeling guilty about the sheer cost of the trip as it's the most expensive trip we will ever have done. Guess with the credit crunch I am feeling a bit guilty. WHY?

Also a bit worried that our two teenage sons aged 19 and 15 may get bored? (only going for a week)

Also bit worried about weather coz if it rains then it's a lot of money to spend if it was to rain all week.

Hubby says we should look to going to the Carribean instead but I've heard that nothing compares to the Maldives?

Any tips on getting rid of these last minute jitters?

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Maldives IS expensive but is it worth the price?

Hi fudge,

Lets take them one by one as you have posted.

Yes i also ask why you are feeling guilty ? This is a big trip for you and for a special occasison, you have saved and it is your money , so its upto you how you spend it so sod the credit crunch and no need to feel guilty.

As for the boys i can honestly say you wont see them for dust, they will be of doing there own thing, spending 5-6 hours snorkeling, then sun bathing and books? i-pod, meeting others Male and Female, one is old enough to drink and im sure the other will get a few beers.

Weather wise, the rain if it does tends to be mostly of a night, again if in the day short sharp showers, its still hot hot hot and you still get a tan. The best thing to do if it does rain and i say IF is to snorkel/ swim.

To get rid of jitters print of some pictures of paradise and put them on the fridge door and bedside table, get a screen saver of the resort onto your computer and also remember Nothing does compare to the Maldives, so start saving now for your next trip.

Hope this helps.

Rumps

London
Level Contributor
870 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Maldives IS expensive but is it worth the price?

Maldives is definitely worth the money - much better than Carribean.

Re the boys - get them to qualify as scuba divers when they are there - it's one of the best places in the world to dive and will take up plenty of their time meaning they will be quite happy to relax the rest of the time.

3. Re: Maldives IS expensive but is it worth the price?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:00 pm, December 18, 2008
lincs
Level Contributor
498 posts
4. Re: Maldives IS expensive but is it worth the price?

Hi,

I do know where you are coming from,but can reassure you it is paradise.I have with prices to the Maldives rising a lot next year looked elsewhere including the carribean( where you can also experience the same sort of tropical downpours) & having now been to 3 different Maldivian islands I can find nothing else to compare for the sheer away from it all relaxation.

You only live once ,you deserve to spoil yourselves & experience paradise.

Sue

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,769 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Maldives IS expensive but is it worth the price?

Ditto all that everyone else has said ... but also ... think how lucky you are that your two sons still want to go on holiday with you! It won't last forever so enjoy it while it does. This may be the last time and WOW how you and they will love it.

Wid

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
304 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Maldives IS expensive but is it worth the price?

Yes it is worth the money. Have been twice to the Caribbean and definitely think Maldives is worth the extra. You will know exactly what we all mean once you have experienced it for yourself!

We were in two minds to go ahead with our trip to the Maldives (leaving next Sunday!!!!! - not excited though lol) bearing in mind the current economic climate and we both work in construction, but we had saved hard and decided to go for it in the end.

Southern United...
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
72 reviews
7. Re: Maldives IS expensive but is it worth the price?

Thanks all of you for your repsonses.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: Maldives IS expensive but is it worth the price?

only problem is your going for a week!!!! 2 weeks get it changed!! Has to be 2 weeks. I bet it will cost only a few extra ££££'s!

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Maldives IS expensive but is it worth the price?

Have to agree with Rousey, it shouldnt be much more for the 2 weeks, biggest cost is the Airline.

R

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
58 reviews
10. Re: Maldives IS expensive but is it worth the price?

Actually, a better way to look at it is to say that the Caribbean is a waste of money, and usually works out more expensive than the Maldives based on the quality of accommodation v price v service - in all honesty the service in Caribbean is poor compared with the Maldives.

Go, enjoy, then become a Maldives fan like all of us on here. ;-)

Regards

Emu