We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aqua Shoes

London
Level Contributor
118 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Aqua Shoes

Just wondering if these shoes are necessary when in the Maldives, especially to protect our feet from corals, etc.

We'll be in Angaga next week and I've heard that the house reef is very close so just wondered if these are worth it or not?

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aqua Shoes

Pridash

Yes yes yes. Vital. If all goes well we are going to Angaga in March but they were defo necessary on both of the other two islands we've already been to. They are inexpensive and will certainly save you from horribly cut feet. Remeber it only takes one tiny piece of sharp coral half hidden under the sand to wreck your holiday. Not worth the risk. Go and get some. ... bossy eh!

Wid

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aqua Shoes

YEP

go and get some cheap crocs, they will pay for themselves Ten times over, and you can pick them up at any Market stall for less than a Fiver.

Happy walking ;-)

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Aqua Shoes

Is this advice true for all resorts? I was foolishly hoping for supersoft talcum powder sand on Reethi Beach to walk along barefoot - what's all this 'no news no shoes' rubbish then?

lincs
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Aqua Shoes

Think we are talking cross purposes here,aqua shoes are for walking into the sea not walking along the beach.Most resorts have talcum powder sand beaches to walk along.

Sue

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aqua Shoes

Sue

Exactly. It's the mesh walking-in-water ones you need.

Wid

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Aqua Shoes

That's a big phew from me then. Thanks all.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aqua Shoes

Super soft sand is what you will get on most of the Islands however, when going further out into the Sea the odd bit of sharp Coral will be about and some Islands, Full Moon springs to mind on Sunrise side, that lots of Coral is broken and just laying around waiting for you to step on it.

A point worth drawing attention too also is, on ALL Coral every effort should be made to NOT stand on it living or appearing Dead, as this adds' to the degenaration of all that we love about the Maldives and makes it what it is !

I'm a fine person to preach as we always stay in Water Villas' which sadly have aided in the breakdown of above said item

London, United...
Level Contributor
653 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Aqua Shoes

........here here to that Lifesaver999....

.............loving ya work by the way..!!..

.........yes you can get the 'mesh' type cheap enough on line!.......... happy holidays!!!

London
Level Contributor
118 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aqua Shoes

Wow! Really didn't expect such an unanimous response...but make my decision much easier!

That thought about just one sharp bit of coral cutting our feet and potentially ruining a holiday really sold it to me!

And yes, I was thinking about these shoes as being something I could wear on the beach to protect against the heat of the sand but able to just jump in the sea without having to take them off like flip flops.

Anyone recommend somewhere to get them in store around London? Also will be going down to Lakeside this weekend - not sure if there any shops there that sell aqua shoes?

Otherwise I'll have to order them from online from simply snorkel - already got my snorkelling kit from them - for about £10.

lincs
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Aqua Shoes

Bought ours from Cotton Traders online,delivery was v quick.

Sue