We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price hike for 2009!!!!!!!

Hornchurch, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Price hike for 2009!!!!!!!

Hi Folks

I've been having a look at the price for next year’s hols based on the same as this year......

How’s this for a price hike! I can't believe it, it's almost the equivalent of 21 nights (based on this years prices).

Sept 2009 14 nights at Reethi Beach, AI, Std Villa, including transfers etc is just, and I stress just under £800 more than we paid for this year.

I’ve been hesitating about booking for next year, because of the present financial climate. I have to say this is not encouraging me to book now.

We are totally in love with Reethi and in its price range, don’t think we could get much better, but this sort of increase is making me rethink the Maldives for 2009. I could dry at the thought of it and as much as it goes against the grain, one of us has to be sensible.

I am so fed up with paying the price for these alleged professional financial experts that completely screw up and we are left to tighten our belts. Who ever decided that it was a really good idea to let people with no income, no job or assets have a mortgage. Then throw their hands up in the air when, same people can’t pay and subsequently default, should be……. Well I can’t print what I’d like to do to them. “Only in America” I hate that phrase, because it seems that every hair-brained idea they have eventually ends up biting us in the A***

Ok end of rant, going to sit and sulk for a while, possibly re-think my plan to sell a couple of the grandkids.

x

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Price hike for 2009!!!!!!!

Hi SuperNana

Sadly, the example you quote is very typical of the price rises for 2009. Also, with the weakening pound vs the dollar, if you do actually get to an island it is going to be a lot more expensive to buy food and drink.

We are going in February and Mrs D is just going to have to cut back on her consumption of Banana Coladas!

OD

Hornchurch, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Price hike for 2009!!!!!!!

Hi Officer D

I sooooooo want to go back However, I may have to pick an alternative location for 09(not the same, but at least a holiday) and make up for it in 2010.

I'm going to wait until the new year before making any decisions. I'm trying to be optimistic, but with the US elections a week away, our pound could still take another hit.

I wish these "financial pundits" would shut the hell up. All their talk, for the last couple of months, of the R word is now becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Well, maybe the rant isn't quite over yet.

x

uk
Level Contributor
137 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Price hike for 2009!!!!!!!

It's shocking isn't it. I recently priced up 2 weeks in Meeru staying in jbv AI in June 09. For exactly the same holiday we had this year, next year is over £1,000 more expensive!!! How on earth can they justify that.

Hornchurch, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Price hike for 2009!!!!!!!

I know that all holiday destinations are going to see price rises, and to a certain extent, we all expect a reasonable increase each year. But the extent of some of these rises is incredible. I think someone just picks a number and adds it on.

This is just getting crazy. I imagine a lot of the increae is due to the current fuel prices. Well at least the CEO & Executives of BP can have a nice holiday, their profits were up 150% from the same period last year. No hope of any of that being pasted on to the consumers.

Ok so I'm still ranting, but at least I've changed the victim of my rant.

x

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Price hike for 2009!!!!!!!

Sun Island AI 2006 (March)£3800 x 3pax, next March 2009 = £5600!!!

Benidorm hear we come!! lol

lincs
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Price hike for 2009!!!!!!!

Similar sentiments! We are off to Komandoo in 5 days (yessss!) paid 3,800 AI.We priced it for next year,over 6,000!!!!!!!!!! Don't think it will be a return trip for us unless we win the lottery, however much we love the island.Just a stupid & unfounded rise in prices.Yes I agree we all expect a rise but by this much??

Suex

montgomery, wales
Level Contributor
488 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Price hike for 2009!!!!!!!

It is sad, but for us "oldies" who have visited the Maldives for many years, the price hikes for us have merely compounded that fact that things have changed all too much - the Maldives are now just becoming the playgrounds for the relative super rich, or those who have really saved hard for that special holiday. The basic ethos and spirit of the Maldives has long since vanished and in fact the islands seem now to be developed to a certain forma and there is little difference really between the resorts .......... a broad based statement but hopefully the gist of this will be understood. This is not to say that "newbies" won't be disappointed, but for me the hype is just excessive, and there are many other just as beautiful and wonderful places in the world yet to be explored.

I do not say this lightly as we have visited the Maldives since the late 1970's ... change is not necessarily a good thing, and anyway with global warming forecasts the Maldives could soon be several feet under water!! I am just so happy to have visited these beautiful atolls before they became stilt cities with plunge pools, jacussies and other such "necessities" for the modern holiday maker.

lincs
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Price hike for 2009!!!!!!!

I think what makes me so sad is people who obviously have experienced the 'real' Maldives now either cannot afford to return or do not wish to return because of how the islands are being 'over' developed.There are so few basic natural islands, or islands that are of an affordable price left, that people are asking advice for 'pastures new',so the Maldives will become the resorts as Tiggy says for the rich or for that one off special holiday.

Sue

Heusden-Zolder...
Level Contributor
145 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Price hike for 2009!!!!!!!

Mirihi:

2009 = price of 2008 + 28%

10. Re: Price hike for 2009!!!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, October 12, 2009