We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in September!

London
5 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in September!

Hi all

I am planning my honeymoon in September this year and it is a toss up between Mauritius and Maldives at the moment with Maldives winning...

I am thinking of either Angsana or Athuruga. Angsana is full board whilst Athuruga is AI. They both look nice but I have heard that drinks can make a dent in your budget which is why I am thinking of Athuruga. However I have seen it has a kids club and although we will be there when the schools have gone back I am just a bit concerned about this. I do love children but am trying to plan a nice quiet romantic break!

My other option is Beau Rivage in Mauritius but again this is only full board and I have kind of set my heart on Maldives.

Does anyone have any advise? Much appreciated!

Thanks

Sarah

UK
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in September!

We did Maritim hotel in Mauritius2003, very nice it was too. We also did Olhuveli and Filitheyo in the Maldives 2004.

Maldives is better for diving and swimming and Filitheyo is fantastic for both. The water is a couple of degrees warmer in the Maldives which makes a difference too if you swim a lot. If you want to get out and about then Mauritius is the place.

Filitheyo was great. We went AI which only includes basic drinks like draught beer, limited spirits and glasses of house wine. Were are fine with these on a holiday but if you want good wine like you'd drink at home or lots of cocktails then AI is not good value(this applied to all 3 resorts. Filitheyo is very relaxed, no need to dress up for dinner, big island, lots of shade, Good Spa(extra charges), basic Gym, normal non motorised water sports and an efficient if rather German Dive school(Nitrox tanks/courses). Food was really good too.

Olhuveli was a bit down market and you had to share a dining table with strangers! Olhuveli was closed by the Tsunami and odesn't open till lat this year, we had an ok time but wouldn't go back. Similar facilities to Filitheyo but less fish on the reef and smaller island only 50-100yds wide. Food was a let down, we survived on it but didn't look forward to meals like we did in the other 2.

Maritim hotel in Mauritius is also Germanic but not bad for it. AI was slightly more inclusive, soe cocktails were ok but there are 2 menus AI and non AI. Snorkelling is good but the beach is rather stoney(broken coral). Gardens are very large(bigger that the whole of Filitheyo Island!. also very Interesting including giant Tortoises. Also has Dive school on site. Food is good.

London
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in September!

Thanks for that - the travel agent has now thrown an island called Meerufenfushi in the possibilities which is AI - any advise on this one?

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in September!

We've travelled quite alot and I'd advise you to check very carefully the details of the island. I don't know the one you mention but you want to check that it has a house reef, some require a boat trip to go snorkelling.

The islands are typically less that 800x800 meters and if you don't sunbath, snorkel or dive there's no much to do! Still on honeymoon you might not need much! You can't travel between islands either so once your there you're stuck. I dive a lot, my wife snorkels a lot and have a few Spa treatments. We don't sunbath much and we aren't into night life. We have tried to book Atharuga(very small) and its sister island Thudufushi but never been avaialbe when we coudl go. They both look to be very nice and have a better AI. try this for photos of Thudufushi and filitheyo. We found these real peoples photos helpful.

wideview.it/travel/…en_viaggio.htm

http://www.my-filitheyo.com/fotoinsel.htm

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
172 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in September!

Hi, I have been to Mauritius and Maldives. I would so recommend the Maldives, although there is less to do, but that in my opinion if the whole idea and concept of the Maldvies, No News and No Shoes.

I stayed at the Coco Beach in Mauritius and I found the place good, but 2 weeks was too long a stay, and a very long flight.

Now the Maldives, I stayed on the island Thudufushi and I could not fault it, the all inclusive option is wonderful ~ I am not sure what nationality you are, it is mainly Italian guests, we were 1 of a few couples who were British. The food and drink on the island is tip top, and the bungalows are great, outside bathrooms, no problem. The AI includes the mini bar in your room which is replensished once per day, this is great as all your sunbathing and snorkling happens just outside your room. I don't snorkle but my husband was in the water about 6 hours per day.

Hope you enjoy whatever you decide to do.

London
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in September!

Thanks for your message. Thudfushi is undergoing refurbishment in September but they have recommended Athuruga which is their sister island.. Has anyone been there but any chance?

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in September!

Minkster,

We have just booked to go to Meerufenfushi in October 2005, although we have been considering going to this particular resort in the Maldives for a number of years.

Our only problem has been getting the type of accomodation that we wanted, we were after a water villa, but ended up with a land villa due to all water villas already being booked.

Looking forward to a nice relaxing, romantic 2 weeks in the sun, sand and sea.

carlisle
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in September!

Hi Minkster

We spent 2 wonderful weeks at Hakuraa Club Resort, Meemu Atoll, Maldives, last September. I would highly recommend it, it's very small and intimate, but also really friendly. The staff were marvellous. I know the island suffered damage after the tsunami and has been closed, but I emailed and have received a reply to say they are opening again on 1 September 2005. They have now built a Spa and have upgraded the water bungalows to include a glass floor!!! There are only 70 water bungalows and 10 garden bungalows on the island, you may be lucky and be able to book one with the island having recently been shut! It's definitely worth a try. I also love kids, but was very pleased that there weren't any there when my partner and I had our very first holiday without mine!! All guests to Hakuraa travel there by seaplane, with is just fantastic. Hope you have a brilliant time wherever you go!

cardiff
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in September!

Athuruga-

AI means just that -all drinks including mini bar filled twice a day!, plus laundry, Was there in April 40 rooms and only 15 of them occupied, no sign of kids club (no where for them to go)

Maldives
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon in September!

I am a travel agent from Maldives and I can arange all your travel arrangements.

web: www.exclusivemaldives.com

e-mail: farish@exclusivemaldives.com

Regards

Farish

Maldives