We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary Trip: Overwhelmed with options - Need Help

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
284 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Anniversary Trip: Overwhelmed with options - Need Help

Hi All,

We started our planning for our anniversary trip to Dubai and Maldives and are overwhelmed with resort options. We are here by looking for help in choosing couple of resort options and then finding best deals :)

Background - we are flying in from NYC, young couple in our early 30ies, passionate traveller and this is our dream vacation :) We love underwater life and watching it in there natural habitats is a dream come true. I aways wanted to spend our anniversary in OWB so Maldives has it all. Our other interest are dinner on beach, snorkeling and any other unique things we can do in Maldives.

We would also like recommendations on best 2-3 island recommendations which we can then look for deals.

I have tried to answer the questions which i read would help you guys to make best recommendations.

1. What time of year you intend to travel and how many nights are you staying?

November - 5 nights

2. Which type(s) of transfer (Seaplane, Speedboat, Domestic flight) do you prefer? This question is also related to how remote from Male and the airport you prefer to be located.

Sea Plane - but if cost difference is more than 150$pp we are good with speed Boat as well :)

3. What size of Resort Island do you prefer? Rustic or modern style? Do you require a Resort swimming pool, gym etc?

Modern - we would like resort to have pools and if we can get pool with out OWB it would be awesome.

4. Do you want to be able to snorkel (or dive) on a house reef which is accessible from the beach of your Resort Island?

Yes, that would be a great choice as we both love underwater life.

5. For divers - what kind of dive sites do you prefer to be located near?

Not cert but may be we can get certerfied in maldives :)

6. What is your preferred board basis? Bed and Breakfast; Half Board; Full Board; All Inclusive; Ultra/Premium/Select All Inclusive? Do you prefer a la carte or buffet restaurants? Do you prefer a choice of restaurants and bars (or is this an essential requirement)?

All Inclusive preferred but if cost between half board and AI is more than 200$ we definitely go for Half Board.

7. What type of accommodation do you prefer? Beach villa; Over-Water villa; Including a Private pool or jacuzzi; Two bedroom; Detached; etc....

Over-Water villa; Including a Private pool or jacuzzi;

8. Do you require a child-friendly Resort Island or prefer a Resort which is adult-only or has some form of age restriction?

Prefer Adults only or some restriction

9. Do you have any specific wishes regarding activities, excursions etc? Underwater restaurants, snorkelling with manta rays and/or whale sharks - these items commonly feature on the Maldives bucket list.

Yes to all if we can get them but not a must do for us:)

10. What is your budget?* This needs to be a numeric figure in GBP or USD. Phrases such as ‘generous budget’, ‘mid-priced island’ etc are not helpful as these are subjective terms and mean different things to different people. Give your total budget for the resort accommodation, transfers and meal plan (excluding international flights). Explain how many people the budget is for – if children are to be included, please give their ages. Remember to give your budget in GBP or USD. [* If you have a limited budget which is not sufficient for a Resort Island stay then please read the Top question: "Can I visit the Maldives on a limited budget?". This gives information about Guest Houses on Local Islands, which are inhabited by Maldivians and subject to certain restrictions]?

2 People, Resort if All Inclusive (1000$), If Half Board (700-800$), Transfer 50-200$

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 replies to this topic
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary Trip: Overwhelmed with options - Need Help

Hi Malika :)

can I just check, is your budget per night, so circa $5,000 total plus transfers of up to $200 each (total $5,400)...or $1,000 each, so $2,000 plus transfers total...or is it a maximum of $1,400 for the whole trip for two people (excluding international flights, obviously)?

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
284 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary Trip: Overwhelmed with options - Need Help

1000$ per room for both of us. So 5400$ is what we ate look as max budget. Thanks!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary Trip: Overwhelmed with options - Need Help

If you can get it in budget Hurawalhei likely fits the bill. You might not be able to get the pool water villa though...

I'd also look at the JWVs at Komandoo. Should be well in budget on AI at that time of the year and while the Jacuzzi is not amazing the resort is a good all rounder. However I'd not call it modern. Bonus is that you can travel to Hurawalhei to partake in the 5.8 underwater restaurant.

If you are willing to forgo the seaplane transfer the lagoon villas with plunge pool at OBLU Helengeli to me are quite modern looking (albeit I believe children are welcome at the resort). No underwater restaurant though.

Baros is no under 8s but I do not think you'd come in on budget for WV with a pool.

You might be able to get the W Beach Oasis on budget but not over water villa. This would fit modern and no children.

Mentioned in this post
Komandoo Maldives Island Resort
Komandoo Maldives Island...
2,246 Reviews
Komandoo
OBLU by Atmosphere at Helengeli
OBLU by Atmosphere at...
879 Reviews
Helengeli Island
Baros Maldives
Baros Maldives
2,399 Reviews