We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Filitheyo question in comparison to Vilamendhoo

Landgraaf, The...
3 posts
Save Topic
Filitheyo question in comparison to Vilamendhoo

Hi all,

Last year me and my wife went to Vilamendhoo and now we are looking for a different resort in the Maldives. What I really liked is the snorkeling right off the beach, while my wife loved the infinity pool at the beautiful beach.

As far as I read, FIlitheyo can match both (or at least come close). However, I did see some negative reviews about FIlitheyo (mostly from a few years back) and since the Maldives are expensive, I wanted to see if you guys could tell me about the following at Filitheyo:

- I read that there could be waste from local islands at the beach. Is that occasionally or is it regularly?

- I also saw that some bungalows need a renovation, but I also read this was planned to happen. DOes anyone know how the bungalows are now? I know fili is not the most luxury resort, but we would like to know if it is run down or comparable to Vilamendhoo

- Any other things where Fili definitely falls short compared to Vilamendhoo? And are there other resorts that might be comparable? I looked at Reethi (also looks a bit run down), Angaga (no pool), Komandoo (much more expensive for the time we want to go), but Filitheyo looks like the best option, aside from the points mentioned.

Looking forward to your replies.

Mentioned in this post
Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa
Vilamendhoo Island...
3,796 Reviews
Vilamendhoo
Reethi Beach Resort
Reethi Beach Resort
2,130 Reviews
Baa Atoll
Komandoo Maldives Island Resort
Komandoo Maldives Island...
2,246 Reviews
Komandoo
8 replies to this topic
Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Filitheyo question in comparison to Vilamendhoo

I’ve been to both, Vila before the refurb (no pool, WV or adults only area) and Fili twice (the only Maldives island we’ve ever returned to, which tells you something!)

I think they’re very comparable for snorkelling, food, style. Fili was better for service.

- no rubbish that we saw, although paths could have been swept more frequently after it rained

- villas are rustic and a little tired, detached ones are nicer if you can stretch a little

- AI is quite a lot more, we found HB was good and the pool bar does lovely casual lunches

We’ve also done Reethi but the snorkelling wasn’t as good but the dine around (we were B&B) were great.

And booked for Komandoo in 2 weeks due to a larger bonus this year.

I’ve hopefully fairly reviewed all our trips if you want to read any via my profile.

Mentioned in this post
Reethi Beach Resort
Reethi Beach Resort
2,130 Reviews
Baa Atoll
2,246 Reviews
Komandoo
london
Level Contributor
332 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Filitheyo question in comparison to Vilamendhoo

I have been to

Filitheyo once 4 yrs ago had the deluxe detatched room that was fine you really need to book this if you want to guarantee some beach in front of you as the beaches are not good and many rooms have no beach i thought the island was very tired and needed more care personally I would not go back

Angaga 3 visits for me this is the most beautiful island, snorkelling is good although no pool the lagoon is stunning and perfect for swimming or having a dip. The only downside ionly has a buffet restaurant

Reethi Beach 2 visits was there in November this is a great island not run down as Filitheyo was and has great beach all the way around but it is rustic for me way better than Filitheyo 4 good restaurants reasonable prices by maldives standards there is a pool but it’s not great, reef is good.

Another one to add to your list may be the new Reethi Faru resort this might tick your boxes

Also look at Oblu Helengeli

Mentioned in this post
Reethi Beach Resort
Reethi Beach Resort
2,130 Reviews
Baa Atoll
Reethi Faru Resort
Reethi Faru Resort
107 Reviews
Filaidhoo
OBLU by Atmosphere at Helengeli
OBLU by Atmosphere at...
876 Reviews
Helengeli Island
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,357 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Filitheyo question in comparison to Vilamendhoo

Hi welcome to the forum

We enjoyed vilamendhoo and the snorkelling is so easy to access its hard to find an access

comparison in your list. Didn't use the pool.

We thought at the time Komandoo had even better snorkelling than vilamendhoo although its not as easy to access as vilamendhoo. The food at Komandoo is the best buffet restaurant food we have found in the Maldives. We didn't use the pool.

Angaga is just the most beautiful island i have ever seen although i personally thought the snorkelling was poor due to the bleaching. The reef here has been hit hard. You need to choose your accommodation wisely. Loved the lagoon.

We have looked at both Reethi and Fil but always feel that they look a bit dated... I know Reethi has a fantastic reputation so i still think its worth considering.

Amari Havodda have some great deals on so it might be worth looking at. We got a fantastic deal off Simply Maldives for Amari.

My choice would be...

Komandoo

Angaga

Vilamendhoo

Reethi

Fil

Mentioned in this post
2,246 Reviews
Komandoo
Reethi Beach Resort
Reethi Beach Resort
2,130 Reviews
Baa Atoll
Amari Havodda Maldives
Amari Havodda Maldives
825 Reviews
South Huvadhoo (Gaafu Dhaalu) Atoll
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,357 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Filitheyo question in comparison to Vilamendhoo

Ps....

Check out my reviews of Komandoo, vilamendhoo and Angaga

Mentioned in this post
2,246 Reviews
Komandoo
Landgraaf, The...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Filitheyo question in comparison to Vilamendhoo

Thanks for the great answers all, very helpful!

As it stands now I am less confident of Filitheyo, so the search restarts haha. I have looked at Reethi Faru and it might be an interesting option, although I dont see a lot of snorkeling reviews from that place.

I also looked at Oblu, which is a good contender if the price is right. How is the snorkeling there?

Angaga indeed ticks all boxes but the pool one. Unfortunately, my wife isn't a big sea lover (she loves beaches and loves to go into the sea for an hour or so, but then gets scared sharks might get her etc so a pool is really a very big plus for her).

I havent looked at Amari Havodda before and didnt read a lot about it. I didnt think I see it come up at all the "best house reef" posts here. Is it nice to snorkel in the house reef?

Mentioned in this post
Reethi Faru Resort
Reethi Faru Resort
107 Reviews
Filaidhoo
OBLU by Atmosphere at...
876 Reviews
Helengeli Island
Amari Havodda Maldives
Amari Havodda Maldives
825 Reviews
South Huvadhoo (Gaafu Dhaalu) Atoll
london
Level Contributor
332 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Filitheyo question in comparison to Vilamendhoo

Hi

I have not been to Oblu Helengeli for over 10 years before it was refurbished it was the first Maldives island I visited the reef in my opinion is the best I have ever seen this could be because it was my first Maldives house reef but there are a few things that make it special the island sits between 2 channels so this should of lessened the bleaching that most maldives reefs have suffered it also means you get more pelagic species (large fish) I literally saw everything on this reef including Turtles, Napoleon Wrasse, Baracuda, Eagle Rays, octopus, Moray Eels huge shoals of angel fish snapper, trigger, surgeon fish lots of large parrot fish there were also very nice coral gardens. If the reef is anything like it used to be I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.

There were some downsides because the reef is very close to the beach there isn’t anywhere to have a swim I guess this is why they have so many pools

Reethi Faru literally means beautiful reef I am visiting this island in November and based on my research the reef seems to be pretty good in palaces although bleached like most of the Maldives the reports say there is an abundance of Marine life. Also price point at Faru seems pretty good.

It’s a shame you can’t convince your wife about Angaga as the lagoon is all the way around the island and is simply stunning that is why they don’t have a pool because no one would ever use a pool rather than this beautiful blue lagoon.

I must point out that on Filitheyo I had the honor of snorkeling with a large whale shark on the house reef but this was pure luck right place right time but the island itself was not great and I would not go back.

Mentioned in this post
OBLU by Atmosphere at...
876 Reviews
Helengeli Island
Reethi Faru Resort
Reethi Faru Resort
107 Reviews
Filaidhoo
Landgraaf, The...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Filitheyo question in comparison to Vilamendhoo

Very interesting.

I am currently leaning towards Oblu and Reethi Faru. Anyone who has recent snorkeling experience there would really help me out. The experience subadai had looks very interesting, wonder if it changed a lot. I do like the "normal"fish soup with colorful little fishes, but it would be cool if there were some more unusual regulars too, even if they are harder to spot.

Thanks all!

Mentioned in this post
OBLU by Atmosphere at...
876 Reviews
Helengeli Island
Reethi Faru Resort
Reethi Faru Resort
107 Reviews
Filaidhoo
Northumberland...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Filitheyo question in comparison to Vilamendhoo

I was at Reethi Faru in April and enjoyed the reef very much. I found the access easy from where our villa was located on the north side of the resort and also on the south side. We saw a good array of fish and regularly swam with turtles. There weren’t many reef sharks around. I believe there is another snorkelling area further out where the snorkelling is very good, too but I didn’t venture there. If you care to wade through it, as well as a review, I did a blog from there which was then continued by ppply, another forum regular. You could maybe glance through it and pick out the bits about the snorkelling.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293…

I haven’t been to Oblu and was originally booked to go there after Reethi Faru but cancelled when I read reports about disturbance from building work at a nearby island. Nothing seems to be mentioned about that lately so it has probably settled down. The reef is meant to be really good and I would certainly consider it again for future.

Mentioned in this post
Reethi Faru Resort
Reethi Faru Resort
107 Reviews
Filaidhoo
OBLU by Atmosphere at...
876 Reviews
Helengeli Island
Reply to: Filitheyo question in comparison to Vilamendhoo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted