We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reethi

Rju
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Topic
Reethi

Hi I was about to book Reethi Beach but came across Reethi Faru for similar price. I know it has been delayed but am wondering if it is meant to be better? People seem to live Reethi Beach but also say it’s a bit dated? Does anyone have any experience on the islands?

Also is seaplane preferable to domestic plane?

Thank you!!!

18 replies to this topic
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reethi

As RF won't now open and welcome its first guests until 20 December you won't find anybody here who has stayed and both.

We've visited Reethi Beach three times and absolutely love it (take a look at my reviews). However, the lure of an island so similar but brand new and with some important tweaks (detached water villas being a key one for us) and the name "beautiful reef" (Reethi Beach being beautiful beach), along with the approach of the Mahogany team and staff was just too tempting for us not to try.

We are little concerned that RF is larger than RB as we loved the smaller island feel, but are excited to try the "new" version which to borrow the Thai phrase we hope will be "same same, but different".

Fornebu, Norway
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reethi

Reethi Beach is a beautiful island, with very good food (in the a la carte restaurants), but it has a mediocre reef for snorkeling and I really didn’t like the bungalows (found it dated in 2014)

I had a nice holiday there, but it is not amongst my favourites, and there are better 4 star islands in my opinion.

It is hard to compare it against an island that is not open yet, but if it was me; I would choose Reethi Faru in a heartbeat. But it depends on if you are going pretty soon.

Rju
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Reethi

Thank you both! I was leaning toward the new one but travelling early Jan so think Reethi Beach may be safer. Appreciate your comments.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reethi

Early January is peak season in The Maldives and you may find availability an issue as many people book a year ahead for high season.

We had originally hoped to visit RF in December, but this was at a time when the opening date was scheduled for 1 November. It would be a disaster for the resort if they weren't open and fully functioning over the peak Christmas and New Year periods, but with the date having now slipped to 20 December I think you're right to be cautious. However, RF looks like it's going to be a fantastic choice so you might want to check availability of your choice of accommodation for both resorts with a reputable agent such as Purely Maldives/Magic of Maldives etc.

We've taken two of our trips using seaplane transfers for both outward and return trips, and the third was seaplane out and domestic flight back, aiming to maximise our time in resort ahead of a midnight departure from Male. We actually found that the speedboat and domestic flight back to Male felt really long and involved quite a ltime waiting around at the tiny airport on Dharavandhoo. We did save a few dollars, but not enough to make me choose this transfer type again; seaplane all the way for us.

Hope that's a help and wish you luck with your choice.

Rju
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Reethi

Thank you Placitasgirl. Really does help! I have booked Reethi Beach but through a third party website and can cancel. So I may keep an eye on the opening.

I was leaning toward seaplane for similar reason. I thought it may be less chaotic. Do you know where I can find the times for domestic flights and seaplane? My flight out of male is 9pm so do not want to be at airport hours and hours if seaplane is early.

Thank you again!😊

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reethi

There are no seaplane schedules; resorts feed their guests' arrival and departure dates and flight details into Trans Maldivian Airlines who make up the flight schedules to and from the resorts on a daily basis.. These are shared with your resort late on the day prior to your departure, and you're advised of the time of your flight the evening before you leave. It is not possible to book the seaplane flight yourself; they deal directly with the resorts only.

The domestic flights have a "flexible" schedule. They don't always stick to these times as we discovered on our last trip. A 7pm "scheduled" departure ended up departing at 9pm so don't bank on them running to time. it's almost inevitable you'll have a wait somewhere between your resort and leaving MLE and you really can't influence this in any way.

You can get an idea of the domestic flight schedule between MLE and Dharavandhoo here:

maldivian.aero/destinations/dharavandhoo.html

AUS
Level Contributor
59 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reethi

Ok great, I’ll check with resort. Don’t want to wait hours, but don’t want to miss connection either!

BTW I found outFaru is now postponed until at least 20 Jan. Glad I played it safe;)

Northumberland...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,050 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reethi

Travgirl1, where did you hear about RF's latest postponement? Last I knew the opening had been put back until 20th December.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
705 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reethi

Wow I hope that’s a typo! 20th Jan is a bit of a worry...

Where did you find that info?

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reethi

Wow, if that's correct it's going to mean huge disappointment for even more guests who'd booked for the Christmas and New Year peak period and a massive "oops" for the resort not to be up and running for this time and running almost three months behind.

Be interesting to see where travgirl1 heard this. Hopefully it isn't correct and December 20 is still the scheduled opening date.

We had originally hoped to visit the resort in Nov/December, but had to push it back to June for personal reasons. I really feel for all those who've now had to be relocated for their holiday and are holding their breath hoping that this isn't so.

Reply to: Reethi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted