We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying for 8-12 months on Visit Visa

11 posts
Staying for 8-12 months on Visit Visa

Hi,

A quick question what is the best and easiest way to stay in Malaysia for 8-12 months without getting back to home.

I heard we can do via crossing borders , if we do in that way we need visa of Singapore or Thai , if yes which category visa we need visit or transit.

Also, it will be on arrival visa or i need to get that visa from malaysia ?

Also if there is any further way to do that so ?

Thanks

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
8,687 posts
123 reviews
192 helpful votes
1. Re: Staying for 8-12 months on Visit Visa

What nationality/passport do you have?

Level Contributor
6,749 posts
23 reviews
12 helpful votes
2. Re: Staying for 8-12 months on Visit Visa

I just love these guessing games.

I'm going to say the poster is from Latvia and as such needs to go to the offical government website to get correct visa information for their stay in Malaysia.

We arnt an official visa website, and any information you receive here may or may not be correct (more so incorrect If you expect us to be able to read your mind).

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
15,142 posts
211 reviews
99 helpful votes
3. Re: Staying for 8-12 months on Visit Visa

To live in Malaysia as a foreigner you need either a work permit or MM2H (Malaysia My Second Home) Visa. Neither are available to you. Trying to live here by doing visa runs may get you stopped by immigration and eventually you will be refused entry. Not a good idea to try it.

11 posts
4. Re: Staying for 8-12 months on Visit Visa

Pakistan

11 posts
5. Re: Staying for 8-12 months on Visit Visa

We can not access on arrival visa facility

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5,918 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Staying for 8-12 months on Visit Visa

What exactly are you doing in Malaysia? Normal tourists don't stay that long.

In general, visa application should be done in your home country or a country where you have a residence permit. As you are neither in Thailand, the embassy there might not even entertain you.

Even if you manage to get a visa to come back, the immigration at the border may get suspicious about you spending so much time here (and having a prior extension counts against you) and deny you entry.

Edited: 12:14 am, April 25, 2017
11 posts
7. Re: Staying for 8-12 months on Visit Visa

Welll, one of my friend is student in Malaysia and i want to live with him.

Simple is that :)

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5,918 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Staying for 8-12 months on Visit Visa

Hmm just a "friend"?

You don't have a legitimate reason to stay that long. Unless you get married with your friend and get your husband's institution to sponsor you for a long-term visit pass (I'm not sure whether it is possible in Malaysia).

I'm also curious, how are you supporting yourself financially in the country?

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
15,142 posts
211 reviews
99 helpful votes
9. Re: Staying for 8-12 months on Visit Visa

Malaysia is cracking down on people who are trying to live here illegally, especially from the Indian Subcontinent. You risk being rounded up and deported if you do not have a valid work permit or other appropriate visa. A tourist visa is only valid for a short time. Any attempts to continue to live here that way will arouse suspicion that you are not a tourist.

11 posts
10. Re: Staying for 8-12 months on Visit Visa

Lol, i am male and he is my best friend and currently student in Malaysia, and i want need to live with him ;(