We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AirBnb

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
46 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
AirBnb

Greetings TA folks,

I was wondering if airbnb in Kualalumpur and Langkawi is better/safer/fun than hotels ? If so, do we have any recommendations ?

14 replies to this topic
Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
8,131 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AirBnb

That would depend on the AirBnB and the owner. No two are alike. You are basically staying in someone's home or apartment. Some may be a room where you stay with the owner in his home/apartment; some may be in a totally private apartment entirely to yourself or it may be shared apartment with rooms rented out to travellers.

AirBnB units may be located out in suburbs or residential complexes. While this may give you a taste of living life like a local, it may also be far from tourist places or attractions that you may want to visit.

Also do not expect cleaning or housekeeping services, staying in an AirBnB is not staying in a hotel, where your bed is made everyday or bathroom is cleaned. A good AirBnB may have kitchen facilities or washing machines though, which can be useful.

Some AirBnB's may be sort of illegal as well, as some condominiums may not actually permit the renting out of units for short term rentals.

So it is impossible to just make a statement that AirBnB is better/safer/fun than hotels. Too many variables. If you chose a good one, it could make your holiday. A bad one could spoil it.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
46 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AirBnb

@Jadamros Thanks much chief. How do we find all that out though because that AirBnB website looks too good to be true. I mean, all their pictures, their reviews etc seems paradise and that itself is worrying. As a matter of fact, their prices are bargain unless there are mountains of hidden charges etc.

Do you personally know any BnBs for 5 days ? I've anyways reserved The Journal Hotel but I'm looking for a better alternative, if that's available.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,930 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AirBnb

Ive used AirBnB in KL on three occassions at three different properties: Swiss Garden Hotel Residences, Fahrenheit/KL Plaza Suites and Scott Condominium in Brickfields. Each of the properties have been amazing, and the hosts have been very helpful - but you have to do your research.

When traveling with my young family, or a large group, I like that I can get a full apartment with so much more space than just a hotel room. You may not have the same level of service as in a standard hotel, but again it depends on the property and the host.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
46 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AirBnb

@TN007 Thank you. I will certainly look into it. Real quick, in terms of safety/security, how satisfied were you ?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,930 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AirBnb

I had absolutely no issues in any of the places we stayed. Each property/host provided keys and security passes as required.

4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: AirBnb

HI, for Visa do they accept airbnb bookings ? Do they require confirm hotel bookings or bookings through airbnb is fine ? is there any additional document required ?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5,639 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AirBnb

anuj d,

Basically for visa application, they want to see you have the means to pay for accommodation, or have somewhere to stay like a friend/relative's home. Airbnb is not illegal in Malaysia, you're fine using the booking as proof of accommodation.

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
12,728 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AirBnb

<Airbnb is not illegal in Malaysia>

This really depends on a few factors. The vast majority of condos have a stipulation that there should be minimum rental periods of 1 year. Some owners have tried to get round this by advertising on airbnb. The main reason for this restriction is that short term lets can be very disruptive for permanent residents.

Penang City Council is now going round condo blocks looking for short term lets and fining the owners. There is also a prison term of 2 years for repeat offenders. So do be careful where you book. What are termed "serviced apartments" in a block built for such purposes are fine. Many of the ones mentioned in KL may fall into this category.

As a further warning, we have had people coming onto the Penang forums saying they'd booked airbnb accommodation and now the owner was saying it was no longer available. This shows that you can think you're OK right up to the last minute and then the owner gets caught out and you have nowhere to stay. So do ask the owner if short term/holiday lets are permissible in the unit they have available.

Edited: 10:40 pm, March 07, 2017
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5,639 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AirBnb

Yes PSS you are right, it depends on the property and the location.

As The Star newspaper reported last year, from the central government's point of view, Airbnb is legal as it is considered a private arrangement between the host and the traveller. So our new poster here should not have problem putting Airbnb booking in the visa application. Anyway I don't think the immigration department would be concerned over the legality of Airbnb.

I did come across news reports about Airbnb hosts and users facing problems in Penang, because of the city by-laws regulating homestays. I have not heard about problems arising in other cities.

4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: AirBnb

thank you so much guys. I'll update here if my visa with airbnb bookings gets approved :)

Reply to: AirBnb
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted