We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does transit visa required to travel from KLIA 1 to KLIA 2

2 posts
Does transit visa required to travel from KLIA 1 to KLIA 2

Hello

I have few confusions . I will be traveling to Sri Lanka from Bangladesh. My flight is Dhaka to kualalampur then kualalampur to colombo. My Dhaka to kuala lumpur flight will arrive in KLIA 1 and my kuala lumpur to colombo flight will depart from KLIA 2. My question is

1) do I need transit visa to make my way from KLIA1 to KLIA 2

I will be do Web check in and have my luggage in hand.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
1. Re: Does transit visa required to travel from KLIA 1 to KLIA 2

Hi,

Which passport are you traveling with -a Bangladesh passport or a Sri Lanka passport?

If either one, then you do require a Malaysia transit visa beforehand,as you will be going thru Malaysia immigration in KLIA1 (entering Malaysia),then going thru Malaysia immigration in KLIA2 (exiting Malaysia).

To go from KLIA 1 to KLIA 2 requires exiting from KLIA1 transit area(viz. to go thru Malaysia immigration)- there is no direct linkage from KLIA1 transit area to KLIA2 transit area.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
38,374 posts
386 reviews
448 helpful votes
2. Re: Does transit visa required to travel from KLIA 1 to KLIA 2

1) do I need transit visa to make my way from KLIA1 to KLIA 2

A] yes!

2 posts
3. Re: Does transit visa required to travel from KLIA 1 to KLIA 2

Thanks a lot.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
36 posts
103 reviews
46 helpful votes
4. Re: Does transit visa required to travel from KLIA 1 to KLIA 2

Hi,

Sorry to open up this old post. I am from Nepal and I will be going to Indonesia from Kathmandu.

My Flight is Kathmandu ==> KualaLumpur in KLIA1 (Malindo Air)

KualaLumpur ==> Bali Depensar from KLIA2 (Air Asia)

Currently, I live and work in UK therefore, I called up London Malaysian embassy, I asked them, they took sometime, talked to each other and finally told me that I needed visa.

Now, I asked my dad in Nepal to ask Nepalese Malaysian embassy and now these guys told my dad that there is something called (Transit with Visa) in KLIA1. Basically, the visa will for free but just for transiting between KLIA1 and KLIA2 and you would require to show documents of onward travel etc.

After hearing this I am totally confused and don't know what to do. Malindo air doesn't respond Airasia tells me to talk to embassy. What are these airlines doing and why is it so confusing? Two different embassy in Nepal and UK gives different answers. And Air Asia hasn't updated in terms of visa in KLIA2 instead it is still shows info LCCT which no longer exists.

However, Air Asia does have a page where you can check if you need visa or not and it is based on Travel Doc website https://airasia.traveldoc.aero/ . Here, I checked and it told me that I don't require visa.

And a wikipedia link https:/…Transit_without_a_visa

I am trying to contact Malaysia KLIA1 airport or Immigration Department and ask them but if anyone knows anything about it. Please do help me and obviously if I don't find any solution then I will apply for multiple entry visa.

Edited: 5:43 am, June 06, 2016
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5,894 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Does transit visa required to travel from KLIA 1 to KLIA 2

Hi metalaarif,

It's better to start a new post rather than digging up an old post which is almost a year old.

<<something called (Transit with Visa) in KLIA1. Basically, the visa will for free but just for transiting between KLIA1 and KLIA2 and you would require to show documents of onward travel etc.>>

The facility is called Transit Without Visa (TWOV), a visa exemption. There is no "free visa", it's either you need a visa, or you don't.

<<Malindo air doesn't respond Airasia tells me to talk to embassy. >>

The terms and conditions of air tickets place the responsibility of obtaining the proper travel documents (passport and visa) on the traveller. Airlines often do not give visa advice.

<<However, Air Asia does have a page where you can check if you need visa or not and it is based on Travel Doc website... Here, I checked and it told me that I don't require visa. >>

When I checked the website, for KTM to KUL a visa is required for a Nepalese passport holder.

---

As you are holding a UK long-term visa, under the TWOV rules you may be eligible to transit visa-free, however the caveat is you must travel on Malaysia Airlines or AirAsia.

With conflicting information from two embassies, just play safe and apply for a visa.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
36 posts
103 reviews
46 helpful votes
6. Re: Does transit visa required to travel from KLIA 1 to KLIA 2

Hi josh_jxc,

Thanks for quick reply, for some reason didn't want to start new topic as I was wondering maybe guys who posted this comment could provide me so feedback.

<<When I checked the website, for KTM to KUL a visa is required for a Nepalese passport holder.>>

You got visa required because you did KTM to KUL but if you try multiple segment and put KTM to KUL and then KUL to DPS then you would need to add transit time.

I am planning to call KLIA Aiport Immigration official directly to get the most up-to-date answer however, like you said getting a visa maybe better and I would need multiple entry and this is because both ways I will be transfer from KLIA1 to KLIA2 vice versa.

Thanks for your help.

Edited: 11:25 am, June 06, 2016
Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
119 posts
16 reviews
9 helpful votes
7. Re: Does transit visa required to travel from KLIA 1 to KLIA 2

Hi metalaarif

I have a similar issue regarding dhaka-kl-bali-kl-dhaka flight, separate pnr. Did you get the info from KLIA airport? would love it if you could share it with me.

Mamun, Dhaka

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
36 posts
103 reviews
46 helpful votes
8. Re: Does transit visa required to travel from KLIA 1 to KLIA 2

Hi Panthokanal,

Can you tell me which airlines and which terminal will you be using?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5,894 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
9. Re: Does transit visa required to travel from KLIA 1 to KLIA 2

Panthokanai,

On separate flights (different PNRs) you'll need a visa to make the transit (multiple-entry for the return trip).

1 post
10. Re: Does transit visa required to travel from KLIA 1 to KLIA 2

Hi, I am having a similar situation where I travel from Melbourn to Sri Lanka. Coming from Melbourn on air asia to klia1 and from klia2 to Colombo on MH. Do I need a transit visa? I hold a Sri Lanka passport. Please help