We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American cell phones in Malaysia

San Diego...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
American cell phones in Malaysia

Got a question. Occasionally, in different countries, plain old vanilla American cell phones work, or partially work. In Mexico, for instance, if you have a typical American cell phone you cannot make outgoing calls with it to the States. But you can receive calls and texts from the States, and you can send texts.

Do American cell phones have any utility at all in Malaysia, if you do not have an international plan"

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: American cell phones in Malaysia

Hi,

for your plain vanilla phone to work in Malaysia, you need to find out from your celco provider if it has roaming,then you can receive calls and texts,and even make calls.

If Verizon, I know you set 288 to set up for roaming. If one did not do,as you had experience, you can still receive calls and text,though at times,depending where in Mexico, difficulty to establish connection.

Most US cell phones will work in Mexico as long as they are set up for International dialing. With Verizon, it is a matter of having I-Dial programmed to one's cell...so one can make calls.

So similarly for Malaysia..you need to set it up for roaming, regardless whether you have an international plan..which I perceive relates to a plan where calls from Mexico(in that case) back to US is at a set predetermined rate (like many of AT&T international call (and data) plans).

THe only thing you need then is a plug adapter as Malaysia uses the 3 pronged rectangular blades. No issue with converter,as your phone charger is already designed for input voltage 100-240V.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American cell phones in Malaysia

Thank you very much! You're right about the adapters-- so I will not have to carry a heavy voltage converter.

I appreciate your help.

3. Re: American cell phones in Malaysia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, September 06, 2015