We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mataking island

10 posts
Save Topic
Mataking island

Hey guys,

I''ll b travelling to sabah next year February 2014 with my fiancee to celebrate our anniversary. I booked my flight ticket to tawau and was wondering to head to sipadan. I was googling down and found that sipadan is for hardcore divers. The problem is my fiancee and me are not divers so I was thinking to go to mataking island. I'm still confused and I need help. Sipadan and mabul is not in my list but I was wondering which is the best for non divers. Pom pom island, kapalai and mataking??? Which is the best for non divers and have a very good romantic view?? Pls help me guys with your experience.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,822 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mataking island

So what are people like you?

budget? requirements? likes / dislikes? expectations other than beautiful and romantic?

It looks like you have posted the same question twice, and I know how easy it is to do with a smart-phone. To remove duplicate posting click on Report inappropriate content, scroll down and click on remove my post. It will then be removed. Only you or TA can remove your own duplicate posting, although anyone can do this and select duplicate post

10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mataking island

Any beach activities except diving because we dont own any license. Budget wise mayb RM1.5k do you think that this budget is too little? A very nice sea view hotel, with good hotel facilities. Dislike if the place is polluted. Apologize for the double post wasn't aware of it. Wil remove that. Thanks a bunch for ur reply.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,094 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mataking island

Is your budget RM1.5k a night or for some other period. If you are talking per night you can afford to stay at a very top end resort such as an Ocean wing Room at Shangri-la Rasa Ria in Kota Kinabalu Sabah. shangri-la.com/en/kotakinabalu/rasariaresort/

If it is per week you are right down the other end of the market at Backpackers accommodation. Somewhere in between let's know and will try to advise.

10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mataking island

Thanks for the reply. Well I'm looking at 1.5k for both of us and for 4 days and 3 nights. Kota kinabalu is not the ideal destination because the flight tickets which I booked is to Tawau not to Kota Kinabalu. I'm looking forward in staying at mataking, kapalai or pom pom island. The most ideal location in my mind for now is mataking island. Do you have any idea which is better compared to all three islands and the budget like? A reminder we are non divers so we dont need diving. Thanks again.

10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mataking island

Guys I'm still waiting for ur reply and from the expert's advice. My queries is not being solved yet.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,094 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mataking island

First of all. I am not an expert on the whole of Sabah. I am an expert on Kota Kinabalu and surrounds who has travelled to other parts of Sabah. I am not an expert on all of Sabah. We are travellers like you, not travel agents, and not at your beck and call. I only give advice on areas I have experienced. I have not been to the Islands you are discussing there fore I am not giving advice. Some one else may help but basically demand replies will not help.

10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mataking island

Oh okay. So u guys are travellers I get it. Well I'm not demanding for a reply all of a sudden the conversation was silent. Thats y. Anyways it would helpful in the future to indicate if you do know of that particular location cz from the starting I did mentioned those island. So yea just give an indication in the future so that ppl like me wont b waiting. Thanks. I shall wait for somebody else who is polite enough to help me if not it's gonna b a bad luck and I have to check other sources like during matta fair. Anyway thanks a bunch.:)

8. Re: Mataking island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:36 pm, August 02, 2013
Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,508 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mataking island

Pom-Pom and Mataking island are located in the Tun Sakaran Dandai marine park which is further north, away from Sipadan island.

Kapalai is near to Sipadan. There is no accommodation on Sipadan island, people usually stay on Mabul or Kapalai and do diving trips there. Note that Kapalai are water chalets located on a submerged sandbank in the middle of the ocean - hence it is not really an island and has no beaches.

You are going to have to increase your budget. A quick google check will show you the published rates for 4d3n of each of the islands as follows:

Mataking Island - RM 2,410 per person

http://www.mataking.com/booking.php

Pom-Pom Island - RM 2,480 per person

www.pompomisland.com/reservation/room-rates/

Kapalai Island - RM 2,288 per person

cuti.my/tour/…

I suggest you contact the resorts directly to see if you can get cheaper rates than the published ones. If you are Malaysian, there may be discounted rates but I doubt it will still be within your current budget of RM1,500 for 2 persons for 4d3n. Or call a travel agent.

10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mataking island

Thanks alot man! Finally someone did reply to my qurrie! Thanks alot for your advice. I did try calling them today but the office is only open from Monday to Friday so bad luck I guess. Will ring them up on monday. Btw may I ask you during matta fair do you think we can get cheaper rates r packages for those islands mentioned earlier?? Have you experienced matta fair because I have not and I'm also aware the next matta fair is on September so that will be my first actually.