We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferries penang - langkawi

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Ferries penang - langkawi

We will be visiting KL/Penang/Langkawi in April

To minimise flying (which my kids dislike) I am tempted to fly to penang and then use the ferry to visit Langkawi.

How reliable are Langkawi ferries? I am a little nervous about relying on a ferry to catch a flight back from Penang to KL on the same day. I could book the flight back the next day in case of ferry cancellations but that would add to the hassle factor

Any experiences?

I suppose in April the sea shoudl be calm?

London
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferries penang - langkawi

We took the ferry from Penang to Langkawi last week. It left and arrived exactly on schedule and seemed to be a very professional operation. The sea was extremely calm (although the weather was also good that day)

The ferry terminal is very near to the centre of Georgetown so it was no hassle to buy the tickets in advance (recommended) or to get there for the 07:45 boarding time.

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferries penang - langkawi

Carhirer,

You won't have any problems getting to or from Langkawi using the ferry. I have never heard of one being cancelled.

There are two boats a day to Langkawi, they leave about 30 mins apart. Think the first is at 8.15 am, the difference is one of them stops at Palau Payar to drop off passengers and then continues to Langkawi. I think you can buy your tickets in the port the day before departure. The Port is called Swettenham Jetty, which is right next to Fort Corwallis and The Victoria Memorial Clocktower.

Depending on the boat and weather it should take around 1hr40mins.

On the return it really depends on your flight time back to KL. There are again two boats, first leaves at 1.30pm and second at 5.30.

Plenty of taxi's will be at the port, so you could head off straight to the airport.

Price is 85RM return.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferries penang - langkawi

Thanks guys. The ferry website says the boats take 2.5 hours. Are they usually quicker?

I have booked a 12.30 flight from Langkawi to KL so if I get the 8.15 ferry from Penang it should get me in to the Kuah jetty at 10.45. Will it take me about 1 hour to find a taxi and drive to the airport? If so that leaves me 45 mins to check in. A bit tight.

But there are later flights so maybe I can change the flight locally without a charge. If I change from the UK I will be charged.

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferries penang - langkawi

I'm not sure I understand. You say you have booked a 12.30 flight from Langkawi to KL, are you coming from Penang by boat oneway ?

It's quicker than 2.5 hrs on the P to L crossing.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferries penang - langkawi

Sorry for the confusion. The plans outlined in the original post have been reversed. So now I am flying Lon - KL - langkawi. From langkawi I will be taking the boat to Penang for a few days and returning to Langkawi in order to fly back to KL.

I am concerned that I might not have enough time on the retyurn journey to get off the boat, catch a taxi to langkawi airport to catch the flight to KL

The boat leaves penang at 8.15 and according to the timetable should arrive at Langkawi at 10.45. I have to catch a flight at Langkawi airport at 12.30. If the boat is quicker than the 2.5 hours scheduled then that would help.

It might be more relaxed not to fly back to KL on the same day as the boat trip but I have to balance that against the hassle of checking into and out of hotels

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferries penang - langkawi

Hi carhirer,

It might be just me but I am still a little confused. From what I understand you'll be catcing the first morning boat (Penang to Langkawi). Then your going to take the 12.30pm flight back to KLIA.

Thats going to give you about 2.5 hrs in Langkawi ....... am I correct ?.

Thats only enough time to look at a few shops in Kuah before you head for Langkawi airport. I have to ask, is it really worth the trouble for that amount of time ? It will just be one big rush of a day.

I think you'd be better having a relaxing morning in Penang before going back to KL.

Penang to Langkawi (boat)

Quick look and check in for flight

Flight to KLIA

KLIA to KLCC

Maybe you want to shop for duty free here, if so don't do it at the airport. You are supposed to be on the island for 48 hrs and they will check your tickets in airport shops.

I'd be very interested to hear what you decide to do, perhaps we could arrange a very speedy tour, with a driver collecting you at the jetty.

7. Re: Ferries penang - langkawi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, August 15, 2009