We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budgeting cost per day

ballarat
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Budgeting cost per day

Hello

I have a very open question here. I was wondering has some tips for a daily budget for meals tours etc. I have already arranged accommodation. We are a family of 4 (2 Adults and 2 children).We will be staying in Georgetown, Cameron Highlands and KL.

Thank you

Allan

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
4,114 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: Budgeting cost per day

As a very open answer - you will find that almost whatever food costs in AU$ will be the approximate price in MYR.....i.e. a lunch meal might be $8-12 is generally 8-12RM - so about a third of the cost - at least this is what I've noticed since coming home to Brisbane. Eating at hawker/street stalls and food courts (i.e. Lot 10 in KL is superb) is very very cheap. If you want to go to more fancy restaurants, of course you will pay more, but IMO will miss out on the true essence of Malaysia too.....

In terms of drivers/tours etc, it really depends how you go about things. We hired a driver for a full day (8am-4.30pm) for 240RM, or 2pm-10pm 300RM. However, if you start booking tours through agencies, these prices will quickly skyrocket double, even triple, as you end up paying per person adult/child, versus driver/transport rates.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,875 posts
386 reviews
2. Re: Budgeting cost per day

Hi

Sensible advice from TN007.

We normally allow GB£100 / AU$150 per day for us (50 something couple), this is for lunch / dinner / snacks, drinks, getting about, incidentals, average shopping etc. We prebook and allow a separate budget for expensive tours, transfers or other expensive shopping. Our hotels normally include breakfast.

Whilst Malaysia will appear cheaper as the AU$ is very strong, don't underestimate the amount of money needed to keep the family happy!

We have some days where we are over budget (ie night out with big meal and drinks) and other days when we are well under (lay by the pool all day)

Food is cheap if you use hawkers centres / shopping mall food courts, use public transport [rather than drivers], buy supplies from 7Elevens etc. If you look at the FAQs you will see one called 'FAQ rough cost of things', whilst not recent, is pretty current. -------->>>>>> Everyone forgets or misses the Top or Frequently Asked Questions/FAQs, which are packed with lots of really great information about lots of really useful information!! If you are accessing TA via the smart phone app’ you won’t see the FAQs in the normal app view on your phone, so suggest that you view the app it as full site mode / desk top view; or just use a laptop or pc to enjoy the information that has been collected. The Top Questions / FAQs ---> are on the right of all forum pages, you may have to click on ‘show more’ to reveal the full list!

-----> -----> -----> ----->

You will need to make an allowance for getting to Cameron Highlands and Penang, as these are not easy routings, but you can get a bus.

Edited: 2:03 am, June 03, 2013
ballarat
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Budgeting cost per day

Thankyou for your replies

When we travel I don't like to worry about every dollar spent. It is better to take to much than not enough!!!!

Just need a figure for as a guide.

Allan

4. Re: Budgeting cost per day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 05, 2014