We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need vaccinations for Malaysia?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need vaccinations for Malaysia?

I am travelling with a friend to KL, Kota Bharu & Pulau Perhentian Kecil and Sandakan and am getting conflicting advise on what vaccinations I need (or if in fact I actually need any!) I talked to a nurse at my GP's practice and even she was vague! There is way too much conflicting advice online, so I would love it if someone who has been to these places could tell me what they know!!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,822 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need vaccinations for Malaysia?

Hi

What is the conflicting advice you are getting?

What to be innoculated against?

Not to have innoculations?

Firstly you really should only seek medical advice about what innoculations to have. A proper travel clinic is a better option than your GP nurse.

Asking a travel forum will get even more conflicting advice!!

I know its a UK website, but we find this a good site for reference,

http://www.fitfortravel.scot.nhs.uk/home.aspx

Ensure you are fully insured for medical emergencies including repatriation.

As there is good health care and good hygiene and sanitary conditions in the Western world, many of the injections recommended you will have already had, including TB, Rubella, Polio, Diphtheria etc.

Most places recommend that you do need to have up to date (at least 8 weeks before you travel) the following:

Tetanus (most people are up to date with this)

Typhoid – it is an infectious disease in the digestive system and not be confused with Typhus which is caused by louse-borne bacteria.

Hepatitis A

Most people just need to be wary of the food borne infectons (Typhoid and Hep A) and follow good hygiene (hand washing after using the toilet and regularly, we normally carry a small bottle of anit-bacterial gel as whilst we might wash others might not!). Both are very easily caught, as is E-coli!

For long stays and intensive jungle treks in remote areas ask about

Hepatitis B

Japanese B encephalitis

Rabies

You will need to check if you need Malaria tablets, and do check with a travel doctor or nurse not a friend or even a website. Malaria precautions are essential where there is high risk of malaria. In western peninsular Malaysia this Taman Negara National Park (around and east of Mount Tahan) and some remote inland forested areas not normally visited by tourists. The developed tourist areas of the Cameron Highlands are not normally a risk. In the eastern Malaysian provinces of Sabah and Sarawak (on the island of Borneo) malaria is widespread. However coastal urban areas of Sarawak are considered minimal risk.

Avoid mosquito bites by covering up with clothing such as long sleeves and long trousers especially after sunset, using insect repellents on exposed skin and, when necessary, sleeping under a mosquito net, using mozzie coils in your room. Check with your doctor or nurse about suitable antimalarial tablets.

Also don’t buy any medication online just to save a few quid as there is no guarantee you are getting what you pay for as on-line is plagued with fakes and you will never know what you are taking.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need vaccinations for Malaysia?

Thanks, I have spoken to a travel clinic as well and they are just as vague! They said I could have Hep A/Thypoid vaccination but wouldn't say if I definitely need it or not. I am up to date with tetanus, rubella, Hep B/C and all the others you get as a child in New Zealand. I just don't particularly want to fork out money on vaccinations that I may not need. Obviously we will be cautious with hygeine (will definitely be taking anti-bac gel etc.) and will only drink bottled water.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,822 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need vaccinations for Malaysia?

Hi

Its not the water thats the problem - have drunk water directly from the tap for many years when visiting - its the food. Poorly cook food by people not practicing poor hygiene!

As they are receommended for travellers from the UK we always have our Hep A and Typhoid injections, and the food we eat is freshly prepared and arrives at our table piping hot and is not rewarmed. As for water we drink a mix of bottled and tap water!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need vaccinations for Malaysia?

Thanks for the info

5. Re: Do I need vaccinations for Malaysia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 23, 2011