We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting in and out of Vientiane from Nong Khai

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
61 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Getting in and out of Vientiane from Nong Khai

We are travelling to Nong Khai in just over a week, following a short stay here we are looking at crossing the friendship bridge into Laos to visit Vientiane for a couple of days.

Could anyone advise if the immigration process is simple to do - I have read many different things and now I feel slightly confused! If we catch a bus from Nong Khai to the bridge is it right you can apply for your visa at the bridge then cross straight over??

Also for returning into Thailand we are catching a flight with Nok Air which consists of a bus ride to Udon Thani then a flight - has anyone ever used this service before? I presume as the bus & flight is booked as a package we will be fine to get straight across the border and get the connecting flight as advertised

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,376 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting in and out of Vientiane from Nong Khai

Visas are easy. You complete the immigration on th Thai side, take a bus across the river and then apply for your VOA. The length of time this takes depends on the queue. It took my mother 5 minutes. You then complete the formalities and catch a tuk tuk, taxi or bus to the morning market.

Also for returning into Thailand we are catching a flight with Nok Air which consists of a bus ride to Udon Thani then a flight - has anyone ever used this service before?

Yes a few times. You still need to complete formalities on the Lao and the Thai side, but it is easy.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,286 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting in and out of Vientiane from Nong Khai

I flew to udon with nokair today and there is not always a nokair connecting bus if they don't have enough passengers. You just take the regular airport minibus outside for 200baht.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
61 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting in and out of Vientiane from Nong Khai

Thanks for all the information - feel a bit more at ease about getting into Laos and the Nok Air flight back.

Can't wait to get there now!!

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting in and out of Vientiane from Nong Khai

We found the border crossing super easy when we crossed from Nong Khai to Laos in January. One of the easiest crossings we did (though we did have our visas in advance).

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,376 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting in and out of Vientiane from Nong Khai

Visas in advance cost you more and are totally unnecessary.

6. Re: Getting in and out of Vientiane from Nong Khai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 01, 2015