We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connection to Udon Thani

Which Vientiane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, B.C...
Level Contributor
172 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Connection to Udon Thani

We will be flying in to Vientiane on Dec. 4 and want to go to Udon Thani the same day. Our plane arrives at 2:30 pm. I assumed that would be enough time to go to the Talat Sao bus station and hopefully catch the 4:30 bus, if not then the 6:00 bus. But then I read the buses get sold out 3 hours before departure time. Since we won't be staying in Vientiane, we can't ask our hotel to book or buy tickets. Could we get a mini-van from the airport? A taxi might cost too much. Any suggestions?

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connection to Udon Thani

You can get a mini van or a taxi from the border to Udon for around 1000 Baht. That would appear your best bet.

Vancouver, B.C...
Level Contributor
172 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connection to Udon Thani

But how do I get from the airport to the border?

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connection to Udon Thani

Also by taxi ....?

And how much you think a taxi will cost to the border , if you say it will cost to much .... how much was your ticket from Vancouver to Vientiane.... ;-))

Vancouver, B.C...
Level Contributor
172 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connection to Udon Thani

Hmmm. Why do I not find these replies helpful? I've used TA many times with great success but this time I seem to have struck out with unhelpful or downright rude replies. Disappointing!

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connection to Udon Thani

Might I ask why the advise was unhelpful?

Rufus provided good advise regarding the transport to Udon.

#3 could have worded it different, but taking a taxi from the airport to the border is the best option. It would be quite a hassle taking a taxi first into Vientiane to the bus station, and then take the bus to the border would add lots of time, and not necessary save any money. Personally I would aboid the hassle with two trips to save a few $.

Please note that everyone on this forum is using their own time on this forum to help anyone, and I must say the advise I get on the forum is fantastic.

Vancouver, B.C...
Level Contributor
172 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connection to Udon Thani

Sure, Scotsman, although I'm also happy to drop the whole thing. I found the reply unhelpful because it didn't answer my question. In my message I asked, "Could we get a mini-van from the airport?," not "How do I get from the border to Udon Thani." "#3 could have worded it different?" Indeed. Why does he feel it necessary to disparage the fact that we're travelling on a budget? What business is it of his anyway? You might notice that in my first message, I did consider a taxi. But we have to know how much we'll have to pay. From my reading of the map, Udon Thani is south of Vientiane, the airport north. So do we not have to go through Vientiane anyway?

Also, I frankly resent the reminder about how good TA is. Again, if you read #4, you'll see that I'm well aware of that.

Alas, it seems I'm no further ahead than when I posted the message (except for knowing the taxi fare from the border to UT, which is good. I appreciate that information.)

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connection to Udon Thani

We go to Udon every couple of months and do it this way:

Taxi to border, about 100,000kip ($12)

Taxi from Lao side of border right through to Udon 800baht. You still need to get out and pass through immigration of course, but the taxi driver goes through the fast track (20 baht extra). If you go through the border yourself you can get a taxi from the Thai side to Udon for 600-700 baht depending on driver, but you will have to wait for the bridge bus and won't get to use the fast-track.

From Vientiane to Udon generally takes just under 2 hours, all included. You could allow an extra 30 mins on the off chance that the border is busier than usual.

Vancouver, B.C...
Level Contributor
172 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connection to Udon Thani

That's great information, Bluecramp. I assume you're referring to a taxi from the airport and not from the center of Vientiane?

Thank you so much.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connection to Udon Thani

No - the meter taxi I quoted 100,000kip for is what I pay from Vientiane town to the border. Add another $7 (56000kip)if from the airport to the border.

10. Re: Connection to Udon Thani

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, November 06, 2014