We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a decent seafood restaurant in Vientiane?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a decent seafood restaurant in Vientiane?

Hello,

I am craving some decent seafood, as in a nice fresh crab and some prawns preferably alive to view before cooking. Does Vientiane have anything like that? I have tried to do a bit of research and have found a tiny bit of infor on a restaurant called Kung Pao T2 (is this still open?) If not could someone please advise me of your favorite seafood restaurant...fresh or frozen. Thanks in advance...

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,508 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a decent seafood restaurant in Vientiane?

Are you aware that Lao is a landlocked country? hence any seafood will be imported. Kung Pao on T2 still exists and the prawns etc are kept in tanks; it is drawing a long bow to describe it as a seafood restaurant.

There is a place called Vientiane seafood on Kaysone Phomvihane Rd on the lhs as you make your way out of town. It is about 1 km from the Patuxay. Its ok, but expensive.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a decent seafood restaurant in Vientiane?

there are two branches of Kung Pao - one on T2 near the airport and one on T4 heading towards the friendship bridge - the latter has the better surroundings. They have fresh crab and prawns in tanks from central vietnam. Worth a visit and great value.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a decent seafood restaurant in Vientiane?

Yep, I'm aware that we have no sea around us.... Thanks for the tip, Vientiane Seafood is not far from home so I will have to give it a try...

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a decent seafood restaurant in Vientiane?

Thanks Bluecramp.... I'll also have to give Kung Pao a go now I know it is still open. I have to satisfy my sudden craving for crab so I guess I know where I'll be going for dinner this weekend :)

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a decent seafood restaurant in Vientiane?

We had dinner at Vientiane Seafood and it was just ok- this says a lot since many other places in Vientiane for fresh seafood are... not really fresh. Several sushi places are not bad, though they serve mostly sushi and it's twice the price for cooked seafood.

Santa Cruz, Cal
Level Contributor
815 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a decent seafood restaurant in Vientiane?

I have eaten at both Vientiane Seafood and Khun Pao on T2 VS is nicer newer but expensive and KP is more Lao sit outdoors, the crabs look half dead to me so I never order it, but BBQed large shrimp is pretty good, buy it by the kilo, live from a tank, VS is probably more frozen imported products better qualitiy but double the price, expect to pay $20 for dinner or more at VS half that at KP

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,508 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a decent seafood restaurant in Vientiane?

Yes I do not like Kung Pao on T2 at all and i agree with Callao that it does not seem really fresh. I haven't tried KP on T4 yet.

Santa Cruz, Cal
Level Contributor
815 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there a decent seafood restaurant in Vientiane?

I ate at Khun Pao on T2 last night only had the smaller shrimp no large (100000 kip per kilo) so we had a kilo of shrimp some good seafood soup tasty fried rice, uneventful and very busy but just look at the tank with the crab in it when you walk in, you won't find them very eatable, I would not order BBQed fish either, undercooked, shows up much after the rest of your food is served, but like I said before its OK for some things like mac ing out on BBQed shrimp

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there a decent seafood restaurant in Vientiane?

We eat at KP T4 every couple of months - the surroundings are better than T2 KP, lots of plants centred around a fish pond.

The shrimp, garlic fish and laab are always good. Maybe they have a better chef than T2 who knows?

For the crab, if you really want it fresh, ask the manager what day he gets his next delivery from Vietnam. They are fresh and still lively when they arrive, but after a day or two obviously they fade, and it sounds like the manager does not throw them out until they are unserveable.

Also for crab - there is a Vietnamese woman in Nongchan market selling very fresh seafood and live crabs brought over from Dong Ha.

10. Re: Is there a decent seafood restaurant in Vientiane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, December 15, 2013