We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant list 2012-2013

Which Vientiane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant list 2012-2013

Lao

For good quality Lao food

Amphone

In the small lane next to the Jazzy Brick Bar. This serves really good quality Lao food in a very pleasant setting. Not expensive and can BYO

Kua Lao

Kua Lao and Tamnak Lao serve good quality Laos food. Kua Lao is just a bit better. Both have a floorshow of Lao music and dancing, which sounds kitschy, but is in fact not so at all. These are both excellent places to take visitors. Can BYO

Kong Kao

Good Lao food in a garden or indoor setting. They make a very tasty laab.

Street Food: try the food stalls near the That Luang market.

There are quite a few street food stalls and open restaurants in Rue Francois Ngin that have tasty food.

Makphet

Not my cup of tea as the food is not authentic Lao, but dumbed down for westerners. Expensive too.

Best Fried Chicken

KFC -

no not that one! Khouvieng Fried Chicken on Khouvieng Boulevard.

BBQ -

the best sindad without a doubt is Poysian Bulkokee, as evidenced that it is always full of Lao. This offers a good variety of food for your steamboat and is very pleasant in the warmer weather. It is a bit out of the centre of town, but is definitely worth the trip.

French

Bistro 22, 22 Samsenthai Rd. Good bistro style food. Phillipe serves an excellent Steak Tartare as well. You can BYO wine for no corkage.

La Terrace. This used to be my staple, but it has gone upmarket and is now expensive, though the food hasn't changed. They charge a ridiculous 50,000kip corkage. Good location. Still make the best pizzas in town imo.

Cote D'Azur.

Big range of food, well cooked. Nice atmosphere.

Le Silapa.

Good food, and a strong wine list. A bit expensive for what they offer though.

La Vendome.

Every time i have been here the place has been packed with westerners, tourists and Lao. The food is very good and not expensive. This is a very nice setting as well. Can BYO

Le Provencal

On Nam Phou square. This is a real bistro style french restaurant with good pizza and very good steak. Can byo for no corkage. It is a very good place to meet people as well. Avoid the other restaurants in this area; they are overpriced and/or not great..

Dong Deaune

Cheap and good French food. The stuffed chicken is a perennial favourite. They offer a very limited wine list, but the wines are very good quality and are cheap. In Rue Francois Ngin

Italian

La Scala

Has very good Italian food and an excellent wine list with the emphasis on Italian wines. The ambience is very pleasant. Definitely a special night out. This is by far the best Italian restaurant in Vientiane, and in my view the best restaurant per se in town. - ignore the TA reviews. It is on Thadeua Rd, the road that goes to the Australian Embassy.

Aria

Ok but the food is a bit bit hit and miss at times. Lacks the ambience of the above as well. Certainly nowhere near as good as its TA reviews. ( I wonder why.) Overpriced by a long way for what it is.

La Opera

used to be the no. 1 in town but is living a bit on its past glory. You can still get very good food there though.

Bars

Kop Chai Deu. While there are better places to eat, the food is not bad at all, and it is certainly a good place to sit, have a beer and people watch.

Martini Bar

Good place to go for a drink

Jazzy Brick

A bit expensive but a good night out. See how the rich Lao kids spend their time.

Bakeries/Cafes

Scandinavian Bakery. JoMa is full of backpackers. Scandinavian Bakery gets the expats. It is cheaper and the cakes are better.

Others

Istanbul.

Good and cheap Turkish food. No corkage charge.

Fuji

Expensive Japanese but pretty good. This is a Thai chain.

Chock Dee

Excellent range of beers. The Belgian food is not bad either. Charges no corkage for wine.

There are heaps of other places, of course, but these are my favourite. A quick tip: if you are flying out of Vientiane in the evening, try th buffet at the airport. They have a huge range of food and it is not expensive.

Edited: 11:45 pm, August 24, 2012
Santa Cruz, Cal
Level Contributor
815 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Restaurant list 2012-2013

Don't bother going there

I like egg added with veggies and noodles too, makes it, now I gotta wait a month to eat some

can;t wait for some good Duck too

and have a beer at Highland inn

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Restaurant list 2012-2013

The best duck I have had in Vientiane is in the Chinese restaurant just down from the music school.

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
43. Re: Restaurant list 2012-2013

Rufuscat, have you tried the Peking Duck at Fu Man Lou? It's the best I've had in Vientiane. The location on the main street on the way to the airport is better than the one near That Luang.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
590 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Restaurant list 2012-2013

Rufuscat, thanks so much for the revised list! I used your earlier list and had some great meals. I have copied this into my Laos document for future reference and I hope that I will be there soon!

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Restaurant list 2012-2013

Thanks longleat. It is good to know that those people for whom the list was made are appreciative.

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
106 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Restaurant list 2012-2013

Thank you for this. I found it most useful.

Santa Cruz, Cal
Level Contributor
815 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Restaurant list 2012-2013

Ive been in town for a while now and hit my favorite places so heres my take on some places

Le Opera best Carbonara ever ( including little italy in San Francisco)

same friendly staff for 6 years plus

Labiang lom I love this place

Poysian Bulkokee didn;t eat there but absolutely packed with a traffic jam of people trying to get in

Khop Chau Dou bar terrible overcooked cheeseburger carbonara uneatable

always crappy service from trainee type waiters

BCF has moved but same excellent beefsteak with wine sauce and mashed potatoes 40000 kip fresh green salad

Sengtawan hotel rooftop restuarant Panang fish 70000 kip for a fish with about 1 oz of meat on it same terrible service,,, sucks

Chinese place recommended by Bluecramp had the duck and some other dishes duck not as lean as I would like but good overall

Joma good mocha coffe and nice pastrys

Scandanavian bakery same but less selection

gonna hit some other places on Rufuscats list like the belgian place

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
48. Re: Restaurant list 2012-2013

I recently went to Laos back in April and I got to say that one the Poysian Bulkokee restaurant is one of the good restaurants in Vientiane, Laos.

It's pretty busy there at night and I heard that the owner owns this particular restaurant. I really love how you can cook stuff on those so called "wood-fired" tables and the food is pretty good! Overall, I would recommend this restaurant if anyone is heading to Laos, the next time around.

What's more, it's even located within the vicinity of the Wattay Airport!

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Restaurant list 2012-2013

Ok guys what does sindat "sin daad" mean I have tried it in my translater to no avail. Sorry to be a nuisance or ignorant or perhaps both!!!

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
50. Re: Restaurant list 2012-2013

That would be 'sindad', which is Lao style hotpot, which isn't much different from the Malay or Thai versions, except for the ingredients, which include Lao veges. It's basically veges, meat, fish, cooked over hot charcoal, on a semi-perforated pot.