We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vientiane or luang prabang?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
vientiane or luang prabang?

So this is our itn:

Hanoi-vientiane-luang prapang-chiang mai

I'm wondering if it's even worth the time to travel to vientiane, if I can experience Laos in LP? definitely not about the money since traveling hanoi-chiang mai is the same if we were to stop in Laos somewhere. but just wondering if vientiane is worth spending 2/3 days, especially if we can spend it in LP. I've been reading on here things to do/see in vientiane and it seems like we can do all of that in LP.

Thank you!!

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vientiane or luang prabang?

Vientiane is definitely worth spending 2-3 days in. There are heaps of things to see and do, and in general the food is better than in Luang Prabang as well.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,155 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vientiane or luang prabang?

I think you'll see more of the real Lao life in Vientaine since LP is populated mostly by tourists and those that cater to them. I'm doing both also.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,802 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vientiane or luang prabang?

Do both... Vientiane is a lovely small city with plenty to keep you occupied for a couple of days. LP is smaller, has less traffic and is lovely.

Check out the 'things to do' link (upper right for both pages) and also www.travelfish.org for more info.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,248 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vientiane or luang prabang?

If you have time and cost is not an issue do both - they are very different. LP is a must see for anyone visiting Laos for the first time.

Vientiane is a nice town to wander round and has plenty to occupy 3 days.

I did the Hanoi-Vientiane flight last week - $250 rtn, 3x a day.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
238 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vientiane or luang prabang?

I enjoyed Luang Prabang much more than Vientiane. Vientiane is a nice starting point for 1 or 2 days, but that's about it.

london
Level Contributor
416 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vientiane or luang prabang?

i wouldnt miss vientiene plenty of sights and a good intro to lao and its people, its food and customs as well as the mekong ....

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
151 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: vientiane or luang prabang?

I agree, if you can do both it is worth going to Vientiane, but if you have to choose just one I would go with Luang Prabang every time.

Oregon
Level Contributor
345 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vientiane or luang prabang?

Been to both. Would choose LP if I could only pick one, though I agree with #1 and #2 above that Vientiane would better reflect the real Lao. LP wins simply because of the amount of things to do there and if you take the time to discover things outside the tourist zone and interact with locals, I think you'll get a good feel for Lao life.

9. Re: vientiane or luang prabang?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, December 17, 2013