We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want To Buy A Second-Hand Motor-Bike In Vientiane To Ride In

Hangzhou, China
2 posts
Save Topic
Want To Buy A Second-Hand Motor-Bike In Vientiane To Ride In

Hey everybody,

I have done some research (mostly reading and re-reading the same 2-3 year old posts) about buying a motor-bike in Vientiane and it looked doable two years ago. Is it still doable? I'll be arriving around May 25th, and I'm hoping to pick up a 125cc bike within a three to four day timeframe and take it into Thailand. I'm hoping to spend not more than 400USD. IS this feasible? Would it make more sense to cross the border and buy one in Chiang Rai, for instance?

Any advice, ideas...???

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,286 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Want To Buy A Second-Hand Motor-Bike In Vientiane To Ride In

You can't take a Lao-bought motorbike over the border to Thailand.

You can buy one in Laos for use inside Laos, but it won't be regiestered under your name - you will have to find a Lao citizen to register it under - a friend or a bike shop owner.

There are a few 110-125 semi automatics almost always for sale in minimart windows, but rarely for $400 and under. At the moment, for example, there is a 125cc Honda Sonic for $1500, and a regular Honda wave for $1200. Occasionally you see a second hand Kolao Sonata or similar for $400-600.

So - to answer your question - in a 3-4 day timeframe, not really feasible unless you are very lucky. Renting in each country would be far simpler and cheaper.

Hangzhou, China
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Want To Buy A Second-Hand Motor-Bike In Vientiane To Ride In

Thanks a lot, bluecramp.

Having looked at the listings from foreigners selling bikes online it did seem to be a long-shot. I am flying out of Singapore late June and had my little heart set on riding down to Phuket on my own bike. Perhaps renting is the way to go though.

Do you know anything about buying a bike in Thailand?

Many thanks.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,286 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Want To Buy A Second-Hand Motor-Bike In Vientiane To Ride In

I've never bought a bike in thailand myself but do know you can have it registered under your own name at least.

Probably better to rent there as well though - renting is very cheap in Thailand. You can rent a brand new 125cc Yamaha for 150 baht a day or a 250cc Honda cruiser for about 400 baht/day in most towns.

Nong Khai, Thailand
Level Contributor
181 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Want To Buy A Second-Hand Motor-Bike In Vientiane To Ride In

If you pop over the border into Nong Khai you can pick up fairly reasonable used bike between 12,000 and 15,000 baht (400-500usd). Maybe less. Just had two British students buy two REALLY second hand bikes through a dealer for 10,000 baht (for the two) and they made it to Bangkok!

You can get a brand new one for around 38,000 baht (1,300usd).

Honda Wave 100/110/125 S (have even seen the odd Honda Z kicking around but they are not very popular)

If you do come to Nong Khai check out a couple of the bike shops in town Suzuki and Yamaha dealers always have trade ins and know how to handle the paper work.

5. Re: Want To Buy A Second-Hand Motor-Bike In Vientiane To Ride In

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, June 19, 2013