We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vientiane trip ..5 nights ?? First time ..suggestions please

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
607 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Vientiane trip ..5 nights ?? First time ..suggestions please

Hi, We are planning dates now for our stopover in Vientiane.

It will be late December , early jan..there will be 2 adults and 2 children, ages 13 & 16.

We just need suggestions of what is best to do and see in this area with the 5 nights (4 full days we have planned). We were thinking of during an overnight or day trip with green discovery tours. We enjoy the outdoors, bike riding, kayaking, trekking and want to utilise the time to see as much of the area as possible.

I would love to be somewhere great for my birthday which happens to be new years eve ! Much appreciated Franji

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,222 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Vientiane trip ..5 nights ?? First time ..suggestions please

""Unfortunately sex & child exploitation tourism seems big."

So did you experience this personally or are you just making a silly comment for the sake of it?

Udon actually has a much bigger and more open sex trade than Vientiane by the way

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,593 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Vientiane trip ..5 nights ?? First time ..suggestions please

never saw any sex and chlld exploitation in the three days we were there last week. Saw a few ladyboys in the evening plying their trade along the riverfront but nothing over the top.

Bolwarra
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Vientiane trip ..5 nights ?? First time ..suggestions please

I have just returned from Laos and Cambodia which included a 3 night stop over in Vientiane,we also travelled with children aged 9 and 16. We did a lot of research before we left and read lots of conflicting reports about Vientiane and how much time people recommended you should stay and what you should see. The weather was very hot,which was not a big issue as we come from Australia,and it was Laos new year,so we got wet all the time which cooled you down.It should be cooler in Dec/ Jan.We hired bikes for $1 a day and rode easily to most of the temples and attractions in and around the city,this can be done in one big day or as we did split over two days with lots of drink breaks and rests at the wats as you go.We had originally planned to the Vientiane by cycle day trip but after lots of bike riding prior to here just could not justify the price of the tour when you can easily do it yourself for a fraction of the cost.Would I spend five nights there,no,in my opinion three was more than enough and if I had my time over I would have spent more time in Luang Prabang or maybe a night or two somewhere between Luang Prabang and Vientiane.Worth a visit yes but not for five days.By the way is there anywhere in Asia where children are not exploited in one way or the other.

14. Re: Vientiane trip ..5 nights ?? First time ..suggestions please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 am, June 20, 2013