We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Dollars or AUD Dollars in VTE?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
US Dollars or AUD Dollars in VTE?

Hi DE's,

Question regarding currency in VTE.

We will be spending 6 nights in VTE before going to BKK.

Should I change my AUD to US dollars, it seems in the info I've read US dollars can be used over Lao Kip..

I just don't want to change a whole heap and then lose out when we are in BKK (as the AUD is stronger than US dollar).

Let me know your thoughts,

Thanks

Luang Prabang, Laos
Destination Expert
for Luang Prabang
Level Contributor
463 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US Dollars or AUD Dollars in VTE?

Bring aussie dollars and exchange in VTE (about 400 kip more than USD at present).

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US Dollars or AUD Dollars in VTE?

You can change AUD to kip in banks and exchange kiosks all over Vientiane. No need to double-convert.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US Dollars or AUD Dollars in VTE?

AUD are fine. Change them into Kip when you get here. Kip is the official currency of Lao and should be used in preference to anything else.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,526 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US Dollars or AUD Dollars in VTE?

easier still, bring enough USD for your visa & to change for kip for your first couple of days expenses then just use ATM's - easier & safer than carrying wads of cash. Do advise your bank about your O/S travel so they don't suspect fraud and cancel your card.

We changed Aussie $$s at the airport.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US Dollars or AUD Dollars in VTE?

Thanks for the advice! :)only 44 days to go :))

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US Dollars or AUD Dollars in VTE?

Are there lots of money changers around? We intend to bring AUD. Last time we brought US dollars and I can only remember changing money at money changers in LP.

Are money changers the best place to change money or are banks better (in Myanmar we found that banks were the only way to go in Yangon at least!).

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: US Dollars or AUD Dollars in VTE?

Many of the money changers are part of banks and thus safe. The rates that the various ones offer are fairly standard. If you feel concerned with safety, go the the BCEL (Bank) money exchange on Quai Fa Ngum Road (right on the riverfront). It's generally really safe to exchange money in Vientiane.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US Dollars or AUD Dollars in VTE?

Agree with iSpot. The money changers are safe and the rates are similar.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: US Dollars or AUD Dollars in VTE?

Great news.

Thank you for your help!

10. Re: US Dollars or AUD Dollars in VTE?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, December 15, 2013