We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

renting in vientiane

Which Vientiane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
renting in vientiane

I am going to be arriving in Vientiane in mid-March and plan to stay until shortly after the Laotian New Year. I may be doing a bit of traveling during this time to other places, but will be returning to Vientiane and mainly staying there. Since I will be there awhile, I am thinking it may be more cost effective for me to rent an inexpensive place in Vientiane as opposed to staying in a hotel. Are short term rentals like this a possibility and if someone knows, could you please guide me in the right direction? Thanks.

Edited: 7:05 pm, January 31, 2012
Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,124 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: renting in vientiane

This is a 4 week rental. You will find it very difficult to rent an apartment for such a short period of time unless you are prepared to spend a lot in one of the serviced apartments around town. Your bets bet might be one of the following:

City Inn

Aroun gh, which has a large double room.

Also some hotels and gh, notably Lao Orchid, will give discounts for longer rentals.

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: renting in vientiane

Thanks for your reply, Rufuscat. I will do a bit of research ont the places you mentioned.

I want to be economical, so I don't see myself going for a serviced apartment.

What are the possibilities of something like a sublet?

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,124 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: renting in vientiane

"What are the possibilities of something like a sublet?"

Very difficult. You need to be here and look in shop windows for ads.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: renting in vientiane

There are several non-serviced apartments in town that rent by the month, but it still probably will be no cheaper for you than staying in a guesthouse for the nights you need, for such a short period, especially as you can check out whilst travelling.

Chansone apartments on Khouvieng Rd are $500 per month, but if you rent less than a month, even by one day, they charge $30 per day. They own two other apartment blocks just a bit further out of town, one at $400, and the other $250 but out at km7 (so you need to rent a bicycle/motorbike) .

The other option which may suit you is just off Dongpalane Rd at the Khouvieng Rd end. They have large bedsits (so one room, but with fridge and basic cooking facilities, wireless, ensuite bathroom) and charge $265 per month. Its new, and aimed at short term people that don't want a hotel. I have their leaflet at work - will forward email & phone details to you if you like.

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: renting in vientiane

Thanks for letting me know about those options, bluecramp. One of those might work out well. And yes, if you could forward me info on the last place you mentioned, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

USA
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: renting in vientiane

Three of us are looking to rent in Vientiane for about three weeks in February. One of the serviced apartments would seem to work best. Could anyone point us to those kind of units. Thank you.

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: renting in vientiane

What area do you plan to be in and what is your budget? For such short of a time, it may be better to strike a deal with a hotel for discounted longer term stays. There are some serviced apartments with kitchenetes but they tend to be full.

Santa Cruz, Cal
Level Contributor
815 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: renting in vientiane

My friend use to stay at Orchid guesthouse downtown paying by the month, rate went from $18 to $11 some guesthouses are reluctant to rent by the month because they cater to the bus loads of thai tourists that come on the weekend, I wanted to stay longer at Sengtawan but had to move to another place cuz they were full on the weekends

Santa Cruz, Cal
Level Contributor
815 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: renting in vientiane

serviced apts are few and far between, always some ads in the vientiane times for them, but I think they are more long term rentals or out of the tourist area

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: renting in vientiane

There are a lot of serviced apartments now - more going up every month it seems, but most will not rent to you for only 3 weeks. In addition to the ones I mentioned in post 4 above, AVS Apts in Phonsinuan also rents by the month.

You'll find though that these are usually full, and if you are renting short term, more expensive than a decent hotel room.