We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vientiane Day Trip

Which Vientiane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Vientiane Day Trip

I've seen a lot of tour agents offering day trips to Ban Hom Agriculture village, Nam Ngum Lake and Phou Khao Kway National Park. Is it worth doing these, and what is the usual price?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vientiane Day Trip

Phou Khao Kway National Park - I have heard this area is very beautiful and rugged, and great place to trek/hike and fantastic scenery... I don't know the cost from a tour agency, but I may just hire a driver or rent a motorcycle and go out there on my own... Apparently it's not too far from Vientiane and worth the trip out and back - would be a nice day trip...

Santa Cruz, Cal
Level Contributor
815 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vientiane Day Trip

go by green discovery and look at thier daytrips,, or google it I don't know the website but they have one, they have 4-5 differents trips you can do

Santa Cruz, Cal
Level Contributor
815 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vientiane Day Trip

green discovery used to be next door to Khop Chai Duo bar but moved a couple doors upstream from there

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vientiane Day Trip

Phou khao Kway NP definitely - hiking, elephant obswervation platform, high waterfalls - worth 2-3 days. As above, possible through green discovery with a range of packages or just go there on a motorbike and get a guide from the Park office - about 80km or 90 mins ride.

www.greendiscoverylaos.com/trekking/vt.html

Nam Ngum lake is good too - some great fish restaurants, guesthouses overlooking the lake and boat rides out to some of the islands. This is easy to so on your own, as all the restaurants/guesthouses/boats are in one place a few kms from Thalat.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vientiane Day Trip

Great, thanks for the info

Barrow, Alaska
Level Contributor
183 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vientiane Day Trip

Are there other transportation options to get to the lake? I don't want to do an organized tour, but I also don't want to rent a motor bike. I haven't had the best luck driving those things. Is it possible to get there by tuk tuk? How much would that cost? I'm not sure where that is...how far from Vientiane.

Santa Cruz, Cal
Level Contributor
815 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vientiane Day Trip

just a note that with construction finished at khop chai duo bar green discovery is back at the location next door to KCD bar

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vientiane Day Trip

#6 - you couldn't get a tukuk to the lake - it would take ages. Best option other than a motorbike or organised minibus tour is a yellow taxi - probably $100 return or thereabouts(02055281300). Alternatively - and more expensively - you could hire a car with or without driver. There are a couple of car rental places in town.

9. Re: Vientiane Day Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, December 16, 2012