We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating Out 2011

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,437 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Eating Out 2011

By special request, here is a list of some decent restaurants in Vientiane. Of course there are others that are good as well, but these are ones to which I go on a regular basis and know are good. Many of these allow you to byo wine for a small corkage or in some cases no corkage at all.

Lao

For good quality Lao food

Amphone - in the small lane next to the Jazzy Brick Bar. This serves really good quality Lao food in a very pleasant setting. Not expensive and can BYO

Kua Lao

Kua Lao and Tamnak Lao serve good quality Laos food. Kua Lao is just a bit better. Both have a floorshow of Lao music and dancing, which sounds kitschy, but is in fact not so at all. These are both excellent places to take visitors. Can BYO

Street Food: try the food stalls near the That Luang market. The food there is better than at the oft mentioned Sihom area.

The restaurants along the Mekong are cheap and good for meeting the locals and for a cold beer.

Best Fried Chicken

KFC - no not that one! Khouvieng Fried Chicken on Khouvieng Boulevard.

BBQ - the best sindad without a doubt is Poysian Bulkokee, as evidenced that it is always full of Lao. This offers a good variety of food for your steamboat and is very pleasant in the warmer weather. It is a bit out of the centre of town, but is definitely worth the trip.

French

Chez Philipe. No longer exists I am afraid, though will open again soon in a smaller place.

L'Adresse de Tinay

Probably the best restaurant in Vientiane. Excellent French food from a Lao chef trained in France. Not cheap, but top quality.

Le Central

A very pleasant setting and has excellent beef. getting expensive though.

La Terrace. This used to be my staple, but it has gone upmarket and is now expensive, though the food hasn't changed. They charge a ridiculous 50,000kip corkage. Good location.

Cote D'Azur.

Big range of food, well cooked. Nice atmosphere.

Le Silapa.

Good food, and a strong wine list. A bit expensive for what they offer though.

La Vendome.

Every time i have been here the place has been packed with westerners, tourists and Lao. The food is very good and not expensive. This is a very nice setting as well. Can BYO

Le Provencal

On Nam Phou square. This is a real bistro style french restaurant with good pizza and very good steak. Can byo for no corkage. It is a very good place to meet people as well. Avoid the other restaurants in this area; they are overpriced and/or not great..

Indian

Rashmis is still by far the best Indian in town. The prices are a bit higher than other Indian restaurants in town, but you get what you pay for. Very nice ambiance as well and no corkage charge for wine.

Italian

La Scala has very good Italian food and an excellent wine list with the emphasis on Italian wines. The ambience is very pleasant. Definitely a special night out. This is by far the best Italian restaurant in Vientiane - ignore the TA reviews. It is on the road that goes to the Australian Embassy.

Aria

Ok but the food is a bit bit hit and miss at times. Lacks the ambience of the above as well. Certainly nowhere near as good as its TA reviews. ( I wonder why.)

La opera

used to be the no. 1 in town but is living a bit on its past glory. You can still get very good food there though.

Bars

Kop Chai Deu. While there are better places to eat, the food is not bad at all, and it is certainly a good place to sit, have a beer and people watch.

Martini Bar

Good place to go for a drink

Jazzy Brick

A bit expensive but a good night out. See how the rich Lao kids spend their time.

Bakeries/Cafes

Scandinavian Bakery. JoMa is full of backpackers. Scandinavian Bakery gets the expats. It is cheaper and the cakes are better.

Others

Istanbul.

Good and cheap Turkish food. No corkage charge.

Chock Dee

Excellent range of beers. The Belgian food is not bad either. Charges no corkage for wine.

Hare and Hound

English pub food. They make a great steak and kidney pie.

Mentioned in this post
Vientiane
Vientiane
Vientiane Prefecture, Laos
Laos
Laos
Asia
Tyson Kitchen
$$ - $$$, Italian, American, Pizza
Pomodoro Pizzeria ( Halal )
$, Italian, Pizza, Mediterranean
PDR - Pizza da Roby
$$ - $$$, Italian, Pizza
Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,437 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating Out 2011

I though I better add some information regarding wineshops as well, as many places allow you to bring your own.

There are five very good ones in town.

Vansome

Baravin

The Phimphone mini mart - not the one opposite Kob Jai der, but the one on the corner opposite Kua Lao. This place has some excellent wine at good prices.

Gecko Wines - Australian wines only. They have a wine bar as well.

A French one - forgot the name - just down from La Vendome. They are also a wine bar.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,118 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating Out 2011

Ever been to Bunmala, R?

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,437 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating Out 2011

Yes a couple of times. Its ok.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,118 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating Out 2011

I've had some fabulous meals there...

Santa Cruz, Cal
Level Contributor
815 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating Out 2011

great list Rufuscat, Boysain Bulkokee is the Lao BBQ place I.ve talked about, My favorite place to eat in VTE, always busy always good, and cheap, almost next door on T2 is Kung Pao seafood another place I go to regularly for Kung Pao (burnt shrimp) crab and fish, love that place too, another place popular with expats is BCP (beef chicken pork) at the east end of Fa Ngum road small restuarant with good pepper steak with mashed potatoes is my thing there, Le Opera is my favorite Italian place even though I only go in there 2 or 3 times a year the girls in there remember me and are so nice and the Carbonara and spagetti seafood are excellent, same with PVO for Pho , the girl that runs it it so nice but they have moved somewhere and couldn't find it last time there, I like Le Provincial for the steak with blu cheese sauce, Bor Pen Nyang was a good place for a beer but had to boycott the place cuz they fired the manager Kevin (Our Friend) for some cheaper Lao management and it shows, but nice views and local talent, and whats with all the Lao girls with blond hair and hairdos, must be the new thing, when I think of more I'll add to this list Callao

Mentioned in this post
PVO
PVO
82 Reviews
Vientiane, Laos
malaysia
Level Contributor
383 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating Out 2011

Bavarin - fanstastic wine shop .Good stock and Ken ( the guy in charge ) Cambodian chinese , speaks french , english , mandarin , german and etc ...great guy ....loves the wine ,champangne and cheese there.

What about chinese food Rufus ? any recommendation

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,437 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating Out 2011

Chinese food is not great here. There are a couple of ok places - one in Sihom and another a bit out of the centre in Ban Sopluang.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating Out 2011

Thanks very much for the update. The beer is coming....in early March.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating Out 2011

Thanks very much for the update. The beer is coming....in early March.

Laos
Level Contributor
502 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating Out 2011

good list!