We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok to Border by train

Which Vientiane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
246 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok to Border by train

Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone has made this trip? I was thinking orginally of flying to Udon Thani with Air Asia then doing the rest by bus but I am now thinking the train would be a great journey. I have had bad experiences of land border crossings so any tips to avoid scams etc... would be greatfully received.

Thanks

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok to Border by train

I've done this train trip lots of times, but in the opposite direction, and it is very good - second class sleeper has crisp clean sheets, aircon and bar/restaurant service. Its 688 baht upper bunk and about 750 for lower bunk. You can book on www.thairailwayticket.com and avoid paying 300 baht commission to a bangkok ticket agent.

You won't see anything though as its a night service only, so if scenery is your main reason for taking the train you'd be better off taking the cheap flight.

There aren't any real scams at the Nong khai-Lao border, its straightforward and usually quick.

Edited: 10:32 pm, March 03, 2010
Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,159 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok to Border by train

I have done it once only and found it pretty boring as I couldn't sleep. If you want to see something you might be better of flying to Udon and then taking the mini bus. Agree that there are no scams to worry about.

London
Level Contributor
246 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok to Border by train

Greay that is good to know.

4. Re: Bangkok to Border by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 01, 2010