We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buddha Park

Which Vientiane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
499 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Buddha Park

Ok, so I have done my research and I know I want to go to Buddha Park.

I know to go in the morning because the statues face east, so are best lit in the morning.

I know I can get a tuk-tuk to take me there and back for around $US 10.

I know I can get something to eat and drink there.

I also know I can get the local bus (#14 if I recall) from outside Talat Sao for much cheaper, and it takes about an hour.

What I need to know is - If I catch the local bus, is Buddha Park sign posted well enough for me to know where to get off the bus?? Who knows where I'll end up otherwise!!

Thanks,

Tracey.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,122 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buddha Park

"What I need to know is - If I catch the local bus, is Buddha Park sign posted well enough for me to know where to get off the bus?? Who knows where I'll end up otherwise!!"

No, and the bus driver will not be able to tell you in English.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buddha Park

Buddha Park is known as Xieng Khuan in Lao, and as Rufus said, if you do not know where to get off you'll be walking a very very long way. Best just take a tuk-tuk out there. I have been there twice in the afternoon and the sun was high which made it wonderful for photography (too many shadows in the early hours). If you want to see what it looks like in the afternoon click here

http://KSXK1.notlong.com

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
499 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buddha Park

Ok. Tuk- Tuk it is then, I'm not THAT adventurous. Lovely pics Maneki-neko. Thanks for the advice.

Tracey.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buddha Park

You can also rent a bicycle or motorbike to take you there, it's not that far from the city centre and the road is fairly quiet (NB I live in Saigon so my idea of 'quiet' is possibly very different to yours!)

More pics of Buddha Park here (scroll down to the last dozen or so pics):

…google.co.uk/timmyruss/LaosFeb2010Vientiane…

South Pole
Level Contributor
243 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buddha Park

Yes, it is the #14 bus if you chose that option. It is the same bus that goes to the Friendship bridge (to Thailand) so if you are a foreigner still on the bus after this stop it will be obvious to everyone where you want to go.

Once you get moving again just say to the driver "Xieng Khuan" and he will let you know when you get there - it will be on your right after another 15/20 minutes.

The buses are every 20 minutes or so and cost 5000 kip (60cents). It is hard to get lost when you only need to cross the road to catch a bus going "back".

The second half of the trip is a very dusty road so a Tuk-Tuk is probably not the best option.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buddha Park

The first time I went (December, dry season) was by tuk-tuk and it wasn't dusty at all, very pleasant actually.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,122 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buddha Park

I took some friends there in April 2009 - hot season. It wasn't dusty either. Most of the road there is paved.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buddha Park

Was there on Saturday, hot dry day, and no dust - really good tarmac road all the way. To be honest I didn't find it that essential a trip - OK from a photography point of view (though should've gone late afternoon rather than midday!), but personally I would've enjoyed more free time to amble around Vientiane.

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
499 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buddha Park

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. I'm looking forward to it. I quite like the look of the place, odd though it may be.

I read on a travel blog somewhere that morning is the best time, but from what you are saying here, maybe the afternoon is a better bet from a photographic/lighting point of view?

Thanks again.

Tracey.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Buddha Park

=) Hi, been reading your posts with interest :) I simply adore going the local way - by transport, I mean :) What is the earliest bus 14 to catch to get to Xiang Khuan (Buddha Park) cos I barely have 3 days in Vientiane (and I be leaving for it this Sunday) =)

Many thanks dear all! :)

Edited: 8:32 pm, February 10, 2010