We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating Out in Vientiane

Which Vientiane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Eating Out in Vientiane

Just a few thoughts on some of the restaurants around the place. While these are by far not the only places around town, they are some of our favourite places to eat and drink:

French

Chez Philipe. The best value restaurant in Vte at the moment. Excellent quality food and not as expensive as you might think. Also has a very good wine list.

La Terrace. Good local restaurant with a large variety of international and Laos food. They make decent pizzas as well. 20,000kip corkage if you want to bring your own wine. Deserts are excellent value.

Cote D'Azur. Big range of food, well cooked. Nice atmosphere.

Le Silapa. Good food, and a strong wine list. A bit expensive for what they offer though.

Indian

Rashmis is by far the best Indian in town. The prices are a bit higher than other Indian restaurants in town, but you get what you pay for. Very nice ambiance as well and no corkage charge for wine.

Italian

The new kid on the block wins it. - La Scala has very good Italian food and an excellent wine list with the emphasis on Italian wines. The ambience is very pleasant. Definitely a special night out.

Lao Food

Kua Lao and Tamnak Lao serve good quality Laos food. Kua Lao is just a bit better. Both have a floorshow of Lao music and dancing, which sounds kitschy, but is in fact not so at all. These are both excellent places to take visitors.

Street Food: try the food stalls near the That Luang market. The food there is better than at the oft mentioned Sihom area.

The restaurants along the Mekong are cheap and good for meeting the locals and for a cold beer.

BBQ - the best sindad without a doubt is Poysian Bulkokee, as evidenced that it is always full of Lao. This offers a good variety of food for your steamboat and is very pleasant in the warmer weather. It is a bit out of the centre of town, but is definitely worth the trip.

Bars

Kop Chai Deu. While there are better places to eat, the food is not bad at all, and it is certainly a good place to sit, have a beer and people watch.

Bakeries/Cafes

Scandinavian Bakery. JoMa is full of backpackers. Scandinavian Bakery gets the expats. It is cheaper and the cakes are better.

Others

Istanbul. Good and cheap Turkish food. No corkage charge.

The buffet at Laos Plaza Hotel.

The Japanese restaurant in the Laos Plaza hotel has the best Japanese food in town.

South Pole
Level Contributor
243 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Eating Out in Vientiane

Laceytreigh; Vientiane is a laid-back town where you can "do" the sites in a day or happily live a peaceful life for a year or more.

Siem Reap, on the other hand, provides access to one of the most amazing sites on the planet.

It all depends on what kind of time you are looking for.

I haven't been to the moon; but I'm sure that would be a good trip too :-)

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
509 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Eating Out in Vientiane

Point taken, but I do love Siem Reap. Hopefully I will feel the same way about Vientiane when I visit next month! Didn't mean any offence.

Tracey.

Epsom, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Eating Out in Vientiane

We also had great food at MakPhet . This restaurant has been set up by the charity Friends International (www.friends-international.org) to give work and training to former street children

It serves Laos food with a modern twist and also sells handicrafts made by the children

The idea I believe is that by providing first class training whether as chefs or servers the young people will continue to find employment as tourism increases. There is another one in Phnom Penh called Friends also recommended

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Eating Out in Vientiane

I would also add Lao Garden & Kong View to that list - 2 really good Lao restaurants on the riverside. Agree on La Terrace, really good value French food.

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Eating Out in Vientiane

Just wanted to add a few more:

Italian: Aria, newest kid on the block. Absolutely fabulous salads and pizzas!!!!

Their lunch special is great, pizza, pasta and salad buffet for 58,000kip.

Lao Food: Soukviman- in a small sidestreet by That Dam, (behind the wine wholesalers), much better food than kua lao and half the price. All the locals go there. Also, Phatoke Lao Derm in Bouasavanh, the old Seng Lao theatre. Dinner and lao dance. Great show esp for bringing friends and clients. A bit pricey at $15 USD but def worth it for first timers.

There is a new restaurant close to Tex-Mex Alexia on the riverside that does buckets of mussels on Fri and Sat nights. I'm not sure of the name, but my local expat friends are taking me this weekend. I'll let you know if its any good. =)

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Eating Out in Vientiane

Hi melgal - your mussel place near the Texmex is the Chokdee Cafe. It actually opened in 2007 but has only been getting the custom it deserves over the last year. They do good quality food for a good price - its my favourite falang restaurant in vientiane. (Try the duck breast in green peppercorn or blue cheese sauce for under 50,000kip)

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Eating Out in Vientiane

Chokdee is quite good and has an excellent range of Belgian beers, but certanly does not have the best Western food here by a long way. The mussels are not cheap at around 65,000 Kip.

One major disadvantage is that they do not have air conditiioning, so eating there on a day like today, 42C, is not pleasant to say the least. If they had air they would get far more custom.

Edited: 2:15 am, May 15, 2010
Vientiane,Laos
2 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Eating Out in Vientiane

wow...........i have to try ,,,,

thank you so much........

19. Re: Eating Out in Vientiane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 03, 2010