We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Racism or Ignorance????

Which Vientiane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Corfu
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Racism or Ignorance????

Well,here is a story about my friend who was coming to Greece!!! It sounds to crazy and odd but here is what happened.....

We arranged schengen visa and sent invitation letter,all done properly and legally !!!

My friend was supposed to arrive in my place on Saturday the 2nd of May but never reached here because in Athens airport stoped him at the passport control and banished him back to Lao!!!

I was calling the arrivals there to find out, so rude of them, didn't even ask for a name!!They were talking about an asian who came through Bangkok as he was a criminal!!! They told me he is banished back, so i asked for the reason... they said not allowed to tell you sir ask your friend and he knows so well what he did! I told that i have invited my friend here so i have to know as i am responsible for him!! Still never said a good reason ,just told me they gave banish iso. Mind you he was already on plain back with his own tickets after changing the date of departure and never told me anything!!

According to my friend they humiliated him ,calling him Vietnamese who is trying to pass with a fake passport, he doesn't have enough money to come to Greece, finally cut his passport with a knife and locked him for 8 hours in a dark room with others with no food or drink at all !!!

Tried to explain them he has a residense to stay here,gave them my phone nr to call me ,NOTHING happened like that of course. It was all final, BANISHED!

They had no right to do that and all this humiliation since everything was done legally!!

I am ashamed to be Greek citizen after what happened,

I don't know what else to think really, No comments !! Everyone who reads that is free to add any comments about this weird and odd happening!!

Thank you all

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,083 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Racism or Ignorance????

That is strange. Does your friend have any criminal record? Did he have every single one of his papers in order? Why didn't you go to the airport and ask to see him, since they were holding him there? Why didn't he contact you immediately when somehting went awry? Why didn't he call you before he changed his plane tickets? Some information is missing here, it just doesn't add up. Still, I am sorry to hear about it...

Corfu
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Racism or Ignorance????

Hi there, thanks for your reply

Well he has no record criminal at all!!

We had arranged his visa and i have sent invitaton letter to him as well, it was all done through the german embassy in Lao PDR!

His country says everything is legal!!!!

I didn't go to Athens to wait for him sorry, maybe it was a mistake of mine, i never thought of this could happen! i was waiting in his final destination at Corfu island airport.

He tried to call me just a few hours before he took the plain from someones mobile there ,told me his passport was wrecked and try to call him back but it was imposible.

The people at the airport changed the date of the ticket and banished him back:(

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Racism or Ignorance????

I can understand this post after arranging a Schengen visa for my Lao partner earlier this year for a trip to europe. The level of beurocracy (sic)and mistrust from the spanish embassy in BKK was staggering. They seem to believe that every Lao citizen wanting to go to europe wants to stow away and work illegally, regardless of whether all their paperwork and fees are in order. The application process was ridiculously long and the emphasis was definitley "guilty until proven innocent".

Corfu
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Racism or Ignorance????

Yes bluecramp,that's the point,but that's not the truth at all!! But they have no right to treat people like that!!! They checked his passport with a knife to see if it is real or fake!! He called him lier and he all proper passport not cutting with a knife, told him he is Vietnamese and that the officer was Laotian!!! what irony really!!! I hope they will give a good reason why they banished my friend!!!

Michigan
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Racism or Ignorance????

Hello Steve I am Extremely Sorry to hear of this ordeal. You have been my friend for well over 5 years now. You are a true friend to me in every sense of the word in everything. You have supported me in so much. I am very sickened to hear of this happening to you and your friend. I know your friend is a Very Good Fine young man in every sense of the word. I know him very well also as indeed he is also my friend. Both of you have plaaned this for the longest time going by every single step of the way following proper procedures and government laws to every detail. How they treated him with no food or drink is just pure inhumane to every degree. Everything you did was legal by law they just had no right to Banish him like that and treat him the way he was treated so humiliating. Steve you have my total Support 100% my friend always. Steve I Value your friendship you are a Great Man and I know you are the type of friend to me that has always given me the shirt off your own back before thinking of yourself. You and your friend must fight this and not let it happen to others if it helps only a little bit it will be Excellent.

My Sincere Best Always,

Dean

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Racism or Ignorance????

Well GreekGuy, I would complain about this in the strongest possible terms. Make an appointment to see someone in Govt and try and get a refund for your friend.

7. Re: Racism or Ignorance????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:46 am, November 06, 2009