We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa, Hotels Queries

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Topic
Visa, Hotels Queries

Hi all TA members who are familiar with Vientiane,am planning for a trip,after my last trip,back in the late 70s,when I was single.

With AirAsia offering direct flight to Vientiane from Kuala Lumpur,wish to take the wife along.

When is the best time,weather wise to visit?

In relation to Visa, I hold a Malaysian passport,whilst wife holds a French passport.What are the procedures-VOA(?)-price(in USD) and any passport photos required(and how many?).

We wish to stay in a hotel offering views of Mekong river,and yet within easy walking distance to eateries, shopping areas(markets etc.),colonial architectures sights; your kind recommendations much appreciated. A budget of USD70-100 as a guideline.

Is there service and government tax imposed.

And any other relevant advice which will help in our trip planning,such as:-

(a). Airport transfer and indicative costs;

(b). Not to be missed restaurants;

(c).Not to be missed sights or experiences;

(d).Customs and culture.

Your feedback is much thanked in anticipation.Thank you.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,274 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa, Hotels Queries

I would go in Oct November dec as it is cooler and the rainy season has finished.

Visas on arrival are obtainable at Wattay airport for 35US and 2 passport photos. Don't know about ASEAN countries.

Re hotels and restaurants, I would suggest you search the Vientiane forums. There has been a lot posted about these topics in the last 2 weeks. Lao Orchid seems quite good if you want to spend more than 30. If you are happy with a nice room in a guesthouse i would try the Manoley Guesthouse - but search the posts fo details.

There is no GST or other Govt tax at present.

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa, Hotels Queries

The best time to visit Laos is between December to March. If you hold a malaysian passport you don't need a visa to enter Laos but your wife needs. For visa it costs about USD 30-35. You can take taxi from airport to town, it costs about USD 5-6

3. Re: Visa, Hotels Queries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:23 am, September 29, 2009