We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok to Vientiane, is it easy to get flights and how much

uk
1 post
Save Topic
Bangkok to Vientiane, is it easy to get flights and how much

I'm travelling from London to Laos in January and I can either pay £700 up front for a flight which will go all the way to Vientiane or £480 to go to Bangkok and try my luck getting a flight from there. Does anyone know how much a flight will be from Bangkok to Vientiane (will it be cheaper than £220) and how often they go?

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
Vientiane
Vientiane
Vientiane Prefecture, Laos
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,437 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok to Vientiane, is it easy to get flights and how much

There are daily flights with Thai and with Lao air. The costs are significantly cheaper than 220 pounds. I can't be bothered looking them up as they are readily available on the web as is the schedule.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,711 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok to Vientiane, is it easy to get flights and how much

You can get e tickets on line from laosairlines.com and thaiair.com

See previous postings on using correct browser for the laosairlines web site.

Have used both recently for January flights and they work a treat.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,711 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok to Vientiane, is it easy to get flights and how much

Sorry s/b laoairlines.com (no S )

Santa Cruz, Cal
Level Contributor
815 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok to Vientiane, is it easy to get flights and how much

Thai air and Lao air both fly to VTE daily , Lao is is cheaper it should be$99-115 US one way and you should be able to book with Lao air and there should be 2 flights a day 1 in am and 1 about 1530 Thai air will be about 30 percent more and 2 flights a day there also and leaves BKK a little later in the day or you can fly Asia air to Udon Thani for about $50 each way and get a taxi or minivan to the border and a minivan to VTE that flight is about 1600 in pm or if you get to BKK too late for those flights you can take the train overnight to Nong Khai , it leaves BKK about 2000and 1st class sleeper is about $30 US callao

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok, Thailand
Asia
Asia
World
Udon Thani
Udon Thani
Udon Thani Province, Thailand
Nong Khai
Nong Khai
Nong Khai Province, Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok to Vientiane, is it easy to get flights and how much

If you have plenty of time to spare and like a little bit of adventure I would recommend flying Air Asia from Banghok to Udon Thani airport, from there you can catch a taxi to the Laos border. Flying Air Asia is the cheapest by far at about AU$50, and a Taxi from Udon Thani Airport to the Lao border is about 400 - 600 Baht, depending on your Driver.

You can book your tickets online and Air Asia departs Bangkok once a day at 4pm. visit www.airasia.com

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Asia
World
Udon Thani Airport
Udon Thani Airport
Udon Thani, Thailand
Laos
Laos
Asia
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,118 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok to Vientiane, is it easy to get flights and how much

Last year I booked my tickets online with Lao Airlines & I picked up my tickets at the Bangkok office on Silom Road. If you are in Bangkok a couple of days this is easy to do.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Pattaya
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok to Vientiane, is it easy to get flights and how much

If u want to fly direct from Bankok to Vientiane it is very expensive but if u don't mine a domestic low cost airlines, u can fly from Bangkok to Udonthani (northeastern thailand's province) by nok air or air asia.

You can book a flight from London by www.nokair.com or www.airasia.com(these 2 airlines are operate into difference airport) and pay by your credit card.

From Udonthani, you can take an international bus from Udonthani bus station to Vientiane only 80 baht.

Mentioned in this post
Vientiane
Vientiane
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
cumbria
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangkok to Vientiane, is it easy to get flights and how much

hi great info

thanks

do u ( or anyone ) know anything about leaving laos back into thailand ( vietiene via friendship bridge - i think ) visas

My plan is thai- cambodia, vietnam, laos and back to thai, If u know any sites or visa info, i wud greatly appreciate your help

thanks

happy travels

Tone

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bangkok to Vientiane, is it easy to get flights and how much

Air Asia return to Udon about 40 pounds return (dep 4.15pm every day, flight time 1 hour). A minivan service awaits every flight into the airport and takes you straight to friendship bridge. Cost 2 pounds. Taxi from Lao border side to Vientiane. Cost

5 pounds. Total: 47 pounds x 2 (sharing taxi though so a tiny bit less) say 90 pounds. That leaves you 130 quid to play with which is approx 15 great dinners (french/italian) in the city. As someone mentioned, depends whether you have the time though I'd guess you do if going all the way from London to Laos!

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Asia
World
Vientiane
Vientiane
Laos
Laos
Asia
10. Re: Bangkok to Vientiane, is it easy to get flights and how much

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, September 17, 2009