We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to plan a trip to laos?

Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
How to plan a trip to laos?

Dear tripadvisor

I will be in Thailand and I thought it would be a good idea to visit Laos as its neighboring country.

From the previous posts i found that Luang Prabang is a nice place to visit.

I have 4 days intotal to spend in Luang Prabang. I have the following questions and I hope to find the answers to make the planning easier:

1- what is the best way to get to Luang Prapang from Bangkok?

2- would it be better to book tours from Bangkok? Or it's better to get there and them book a tour through a local company in Laos?

Thanks

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,282 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to plan a trip to laos?

The best and expensive way is non-stop Bangkok Airways flight http://www.bangkokair.com/eng

Anything else will consume about two days from your four-day budget.

You find more and cheaper tours locally. Booking for the next day is not a problem when you have four days. Many people consider Luang Prabang a great place for chilling out so use at least the day of arrival for that.

Make sure your passport can get the visa on arrival, obtain passport photos and enough US dollars to pay for the visa. The fee depends on the nationality.

In Laos they use Kip as the currency and you get them from ATMs also with foreign cards. The visa fee is in US dollars because Kip is not an internationally traded currency. This means you have to spend all your Kip before departing Laos because they are useless outside the country.

Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to plan a trip to laos?

Thank you so much for your informative reply.

Can I found those local tour operators in the airport or in the city of LP? Or is there anything online that i can prebook?

New York
Level Contributor
374 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to plan a trip to laos?

Lao Airlines also flies that route. Once you're there, your hotel can help you arrange transportation or a guide to wherever you want to go. I'm sure you don't need to prebook anything.

Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to plan a trip to laos?

Perfect :)

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,503 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to plan a trip to laos?

Either Lao Airlines or Bangkok Airways. Book tours locally as you will find many to choose from and they will be cheaper. No need to pre book anything. Actually you can pay for your visa in AUD, KIP, USD and Euro. As mentioned above, USD is better because the exchange rate is poor otherwise.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,807 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to plan a trip to laos?

Cheapest flights are with Thai Air Asia, departing from Don Muang.

Around $130 / 4600Bht return (depending on exchange rate).

7. Re: How to plan a trip to laos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 09, 2017