We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is August the low season or is it busy?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
68 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Is August the low season or is it busy?

I've heard mixed reports about August being the low/rainy season and also that it's busy with European tourists on summer break. My teenage daughter and I will be backpacking in early/mid August -- do we need to reserve guesthouses/budget hotels, or can we just travel where we like, finding places as we arrive? I much prefer the second option, but I don't want to get left guesthouse-less. We've booked a place in Luang Prabang, but haven't booked the rest (which, as of now is probably LP --> Phonsavan --> VV --> Vientiane. We'll only have about 12 nights, so I think that's probably a good itinerary.) Any and all thoughts/advice about my question and our itinerary would be greatly appreciated!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
68 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is August the low season or is it busy?

I'm still looking for answers, if anyone has them! Thx.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is August the low season or is it busy?

It is school summer holidays in France and most of Europe during August so there will be an increase in families vacationing that month. Nevertheless, tourist numbers will likely still be lower than during the country's popular cooler months so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding accommodation at short notice.

Edited: 3:27 am, January 08, 2016
Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is August the low season or is it busy?

August is the low season in Laos. You will be able to pick hotels as you go, no need to book. Even the most popular town Luang Prabang is much quieter in August than this time of year.

I travel around Laos year-round and never book in advance.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,505 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is August the low season or is it busy?

August is still well and truly in the rainy season. No need to book.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
68 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is August the low season or is it busy?

Thanks so much!

6. Re: Is August the low season or is it busy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 10, 2017