We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary - What do you think?

Brooklyn, New York...
Level Contributor
52 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary - What do you think?

I'm going to Laos from Nov 28-Dec 17 as a vacation while I'm working in Kuala Lumpur. How does this Itinerary look? I really want to see interesting places without killing myself to do them all. If I can fit in more than one site in a day or if you think I should add/remove a place or site please let me know! I'm traveling alone, so I'm excited but also terrified, so any advice on making this a safe but thrilling trip would be amazing!

Nov 28: Arrive Vientiane in morning, explore city

Nov 29-Dec2: Fly into Phonsavan. See: jars, secret tunnel, visit Ban Napia

Dec 3: Bus to Sam Neua, check in and rest

Dec 4-5: Vieng Xay, Hintong Park

Dec 6: Bus to Vieng Thong (stop over)

Dec 7: Bus to Nong Khiaw

Dec 8: Boat down to Luang Prabang and rest

Dec 9-11: Luang Prabang

Dec 12: Fly into Vientiane, see buddha park if haven't yet

Dec 13: Bus to Nahin, rest

Dec 14: Visit Kong Lo Cave

Dec 15-16: Bus Back Vientiane and rest

Dec 17: Fly out

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,086 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary - What do you think?

Firstly, travelling in Laos solo is no issue at all. Done it last year and I felt perfectly safe, and you will meet lots of other travellers.

Regarding your itinerary, it seems you will spend lots of time in a bus with the number of places you visit. This will give you in some places very limited time to explore the areas, or very limited time to rest. For example you will not have lots of time in Nong Khiaw, which is a shame as the surrounding area is beautiful, and it is a great place to sit back and relax.

Saying that, it is doable I think (though I am not familiar with the places between PoJ and Nong Khiaw).

Brooklyn, New York...
Level Contributor
52 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary - What do you think?

Thanks! Any advice you'd give as a fellow lone traveler?

Once I get to Phonsavan I'm planning on just taking things as they come, if I get burnt out or sick I'll take an extra day, if I don't like a place I'll move on early. I really would love to see Kong Lo, but since its not near the other places I want to visit, it will probably get dropped unless everything goes according to plan (ha).

The stop over on the way to Nong Khiaw is to break up the bus ride, since I've heard bus travel is rough there and all the locals vomit their hearts out the entire way.. which is my idea of hell.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,086 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary - What do you think?

One important advise is to keep your common sense with you when travelling alone.

Also, it is good if you keep your initerary and options open if you need a rest. If you have a spare day, I would suggest stay an extra day in Nong Khiaw.

Brooklyn, New York...
Level Contributor
52 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary - What do you think?

Thanks again, I'll try and squeeze in an extra day there :)

5. Re: Itinerary - What do you think?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 12, 2014