We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquito nets

Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Mosquito nets

Hi!

Next week I'll arive to North part of the Laos. Do I need a mosquito nets in these time of a year?

Thax,

Sonja

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
8,262 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquito nets

You need mosquito protection all year round (bring good repellent with you, and follow any precaution advise you will hear)

Saying that, I brought my own mosquito net along, but all guesthouses I stayed at in the north of Laos provided them. So I actually didn't use mine. But I think it gave some piece of mind knowing I had it if required.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquito nets

You can also buy nets and repellent cheaply in all main Lao towns (good Thai made repellent $2/spray bottle).

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
8,262 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquito nets

Bluecramp, I remember that I bought some repellent in Thailand before crossing the border last year. If I would buy some in Laos (Thakhek), is there any specific brand you would recommend? Would save me carrying too many things in my luggage (and it is more expensive here in the UK).

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquito nets

There are half a dozen DEET based brands available in Laos now, but I usually get Sketolene - 15% DEET. Theres another common one called Sofitel which is also good.

They are the same brands you see in Thai 7-11's. I've never needed anything stronger than these.

Oraison, France
Level Contributor
488 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquito nets

so good to know for my next stay in laos ....

look, I have just bought a 75 ml repellent spreyer (pharmacy) and I paid 14.5 euros about 18 usd , and believe me for this content it's not a big vial ......

If you tell me that the local brands are good, powerfull enough and effective I could save up a lot

thanks for the tip

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquito nets

Yes the Thai brands are good and have always worked well for me. In my last post that brand name is "Soffell" not Sofitel - it is $2 for a 70ml bottle.

7. Re: Mosquito nets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 24, 2014