We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Vang Vieng worth going to if I don't drink/party?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Is Vang Vieng worth going to if I don't drink/party?

I'm not much of an alcohol person, and don't care much for partying like crazy. I like natural scenery more, which Laos has plenty of. Would it still be worth going to Vang Vieng and tubing just for the natural beauty/relaxation of tubing? I'll be spending some time in LP before heading down to Vientiane, and am wondering if VV is worth a couple of days.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,715 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Vang Vieng worth going to if I don't drink/party?

Hi,

It certainly is, the scenery is beautiful and there are some nice places to stay. The drinking culture there has been seriously curtailed and I think you'll be in for a pleasant surprise to you head there. I was there again end of November and it was a changed place.

Cheers

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Vang Vieng worth going to if I don't drink/party?

Thanks for your reply! I'll go there and can't wait to have a great time and see the awesome scenery. Cheers!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Vang Vieng worth going to if I don't drink/party?

100% YES! It has stunning scenery, caves, kayaking, good food at little riverside restaurants. You can easily spend 2 full days caving.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Vang Vieng worth going to if I don't drink/party?

Definitely! I go there at least once a year with my family for the scenery and to relax. I have never yet found the need to float down the river in an alcoholic haze.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,933 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Vang Vieng worth going to if I don't drink/party?

I enjoyed VV because of the above reasons, and also l the sober tubing (ok, I enjoyed one or two beer in the process). There were only two bars open back in October, and everything was very civilised and everyone enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere. Floating along the river and enjoying the stunning scenery was a great experience.

6. Re: Is Vang Vieng worth going to if I don't drink/party?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 03, 2014