We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice for 3 weeks in Cambodia and Laos

Seattle
Level Contributor
21 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary advice for 3 weeks in Cambodia and Laos

We only have 3 weeks to travel in Cambodia and Laos and can fly when necessary to save time. We are experienced backpackers in Asia and want to see as much as possible. We fly in and out of Phnom Penh. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you, Monica

Trieste, Italy
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice for 3 weeks in Cambodia and Laos

Hello! I'm just back from Laos and Cambodia, this is the itinerary I'd suggest:

From Phnom Phen to 4000 islands (it's 12 hours by bus, you can make a stop in Kratie which is half-way, people told me is nice, I took the 12 hours ride and it was really long, but I saved money and time)

3 days in 4000 islands (it's a wonderful place, I stayed in Don Khon which I really liked, you can choose Don Det if you want to find night-life)

From 4000 islands to Pakse (3 hours more or less by bus) in Pakse you can stay 2 days if you want to see the temple at Champasak and the Bolaven plateau.

From Pakse to Tha Khaek (7 hours by bus, 1 or 2 days, wonderful nature to explore)

From Tha Khaek to Vientiane (5 hours by bus, I'd spend 2 days in the capital, it's really a nice city)

From Vientiane you can take a sleeping bus to Phonsavan to see the plain of Jars, 1 full days is enough I think, then the following day you can take a bus to Luang Prabang (7 hours) and spend there 2 days or more. Maybe from there you can fly to Siem Reap, see Angkor Wat and then back to Phnom Phen.

I know it's a lot for 3 weeks, you can choose to skip one or two of the destinations (for example, there's a night bus that brings you comfortably from Pakse to Vientiane, then you skip central Laos but you save a lot of time)

If you need any advice feel free to ask me!

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,602 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice for 3 weeks in Cambodia and Laos

if you are already planning to visit Angor Wat I would not bother visitng Wat Phu (near Champasak) as well, unless you have a real interest in ancient sites. Also, it is very hard going walking up the steep stairs to the top. The Bolaven Plateau is worth a visit , lots of waterfalls, some ethnic villages , lovely scenery, coffee plantations etc.

The Plain of Jars is also worth a visit but I am not sure on how you would find the journey, the roads are VERY winding and I think it may take in the region of 10 hours. We went by road from Vientiane to Vang Vieng (very beatiful) which took 5 hours, then VV to Phonsavan for the Jars which took 7 hours . From there we went to LP by road which took 7 hours. If I was to go again I would consider flying Vientiane to Phonsavan at least one way if your budget allows ..

3. Re: Itinerary advice for 3 weeks in Cambodia and Laos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 07, 2014