We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seek advice: Vietiane Airport To Thakhek

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Seek advice: Vietiane Airport To Thakhek

Dear all,

I plan to go Thakhek next week. Reach Vietiane from Australia. What is the best way to get to Thakhek from Vietiane?

Any taxi available direct from Vietiane airport and how much does it cost?

Thanks in advance.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seek advice: Vietiane Airport To Thakhek

The most regular way is by bus from the southern bus station, which is 8km to the north of vientiane centre - buses leave every hour or so and take 5-6 hours. Cost about $10.

You can take a taxi from the airport but it will likely cost about $150-200. If none of the drivers already at the airport want to go to Thakhek, call for a taxi from town - yellow cabs are on 020 23004483

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,184 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seek advice: Vietiane Airport To Thakhek

To answer your question: No there is no bus from the airport. I also doubt whether a taxi would be prepared to take you straight from the airport. It is a lengthy journey and would need to be arranged in advance as well as being expensive. I would suggest you take a bus.

3. Re: Seek advice: Vietiane Airport To Thakhek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 28, 2014