We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How's this for an itinerary?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
How's this for an itinerary?

Hi all

Hubby and I have a total of 10 nights (25 Dec to 4 Jan). We're not into pagodas and temples as we've been living in Asia for the past 20 years. What we do enjoy are history, exploration and photography. We prefer free-and-independent-travel and are well-traveled.

Appreciate your thoughts ....

1) ETA VTE 0940 hours 25 Dec. Spend 2 nights.

2) VTE/XKH (for the Plain of Jars) 27 Dec. 2 or 3 nights? We were thinking of doing a private transfer to Luang Prabang ... does it actually cost USD160/way? I know local buses run this route for USD13/pax ... it's just I think a private transfer offers us flexibility to stop as and when. I also know we can fly back to VTE on Wednesdays but this means we'll only have 2 nights ... is this sufficient to see the town + jars?

3) LP, arriving either 29 Dec or 30 Dec. 4 or 5 nights?

4) LPQ/VTE either 2 or 3 Jan. Is it worth tagging on an extra day in VTE as upon arrival on the 25th, we'll only have 1 full day.

5) VTE/KUL 4 Jan.

Many thanks.

Jules

Griffith
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How's this for an itinerary?

My wife and I spent our honeymoon in Laos in 2007.

1) We were on a tight timeframe and only spent 1/2 a day in Vietiane were we visited the Golden Stupa and Wat Si Saket.

2) We had two nights in Phonsavan. We did a day tour with about 5 other travellers visiting some bomb craters, villages where old bomb shells are used in construction, a walk to a nice waterfall and visited one jar site (site 1 I think). This was enough time for us. We bused it to LP which was fine with us. The bus did stop for sometime at the intersection with the road to Vietiane.

3) We also spent 4 or 5 nights in LP. This gave us enough time to visit the west bank, pak ou caves, and the sites around town.

Matt

Laos
Level Contributor
502 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How's this for an itinerary?

Would highly recommend booking your accommodation in advance, especially for Luang Prabang. Many places, especially those that are in the mid-range to top-end style get very busy during this period. You will generally be able to find a USD10 per night guesthouse but if you are a bit more selective about where you want to stay, I would recommend booking ahead.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How's this for an itinerary?

Thanks for replies. Still in process of thinking things through.

Vientiane, Laos
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How's this for an itinerary?

i would agree with Laos_info......coz in Laos is turning for high season....you should book your recommrndation, your transportation, that would be easy for your trip.......

and if you need any suggestion, please let me know..........

5. Re: How's this for an itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 14, 2011