We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation - Sleeper bus from Vientiane to Pakse

London, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendation - Sleeper bus from Vientiane to Pakse

I normally prefer to travel by public bus to meet the locals and see the real country

However, after a couple of very long bus journeys I decided to go in the sleeping bus.

You get proper beds, although you would share with another person.

It is around $25, not cheap but worth every penny, as you get to your destination perfectly rested

www.adegreeaday.blogspot.com

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendation - Sleeper bus from Vientiane to Pakse

It was $16 when I did it in September. A bit squashed if you're over 5'7", but definitley much cheaper than the flight ($85?) or if you miss the flight (as in my case). The good thing about doing the night bus is that the locals are sleeping, not awake and barfing like on the day trips. I've done this route twice & will do it again!

Laos
Level Contributor
502 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendation - Sleeper bus from Vientiane to Pakse

Just to clarify - there are now a couple of different standards of buses running this route - the normal VIP buses with reclining seats, and the sleeper buses where the seats basically fold down into beds.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendation - Sleeper bus from Vientiane to Pakse

The VIP buses I have been taking to Pakse fo rthe past 3 years are otherwise known as "bed buses" and have no reclining seats to speak of, only beds.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendation - Sleeper bus from Vientiane to Pakse

Hi there,

Is this the overnight bus which stops at Tha Khaek?

Alex

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendation - Sleeper bus from Vientiane to Pakse

The bus doesn't stop. Everyone's sleeping. If you gotta use the loo, there's one on board.

Laos
Level Contributor
502 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendation - Sleeper bus from Vientiane to Pakse

There's a VIP bus which leaves Vientiane's south bus station every afternoon at 1pm. Trip to Thakek takes approx 5 hours and costs 75,000kip

Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendation - Sleeper bus from Vientiane to Pakse

Laos info is correct, there is a VIP bus that leaves from VTE's south bus station at 1pm and arrives around 6pm. But if you're taking this VIP bus, it's best to buy the ticket directly at the bus station. I was very unpleasantly surprised when a hotel we'd stayed at several times sold us the same ticket at twice the cost, ie. 150,000kip. Needless to say we won't be their patron again. And quite a number of guesthouses and travel agencies in Vientiane also sell this and other bus ticket at inflated prices so overall, best to buy at the bus station. BTW, the south bus station is quite a ways out of town and well past the Patuxai Monument.

Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendation - Sleeper bus from Vientiane to Pakse

alex16103--BTW, when I took the VIP sleeper bus UP from Pakse, we did stop at Tha Khaek at 1AM in the morning. Also, when we were in Tha Khaek earlier, the bus station sales-person informed us that we could catch the VIP bus headed south to Pakse but originating in Vientiane at around 11pm.

There are different types of VIP buses running between Vientiane and Pakse. Some are regular buses with reclining seats, some are sleeper buses and some of these sleeper buses sleep 3 across (3 bunk beds with 2 aisles) while the VIP sleeper we caught slept TWO PER BUNK. Rather hilarious to have solo travelers having to switch bunks because some were women and some men and in Lao culture, it's a big No-No for single women to share a bed unless they're married or engaged.

Hope this info is not too late!

9. Re: Recommendation - Sleeper bus from Vientiane to Pakse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, October 27, 2009