We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help

Melbourne
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Itinerary help

Hi everyone, I’ve read a lot of posts, travel fish info and feedback on various locations and have come up with a draft itinerary for an almost 3 week trip to catch the highlights of Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos and would love some feedback if you could. So far it sits as this:

Fly into phnom phen for 2 nights

Fly to siem reap for 4 nights

Fly to Vientiane for 3 nights

Bus?? To Luang Prabang for 3 nights

Fly to Hanoi for 4 nights including an overnight trip to hanlong bay

Bus?? To sapa for 2 nights

Bus back to Hanoi for final night before flying back to aus.

Not sure if flights or buses or private drivers are best? Can anyone offer some advice on this? We are wanting A cultural experience with opportunities to visit communities not just cities along with seeing historic architecture and natural beauty. Do you think this itinerary will do that? I’m sure we will return to explore more in depth but we don’t get out much since having kids and as we are leaving them at home this time we can’t be gone for too long.

I look forward to hearing your experiences and advice :)

5 replies to this topic
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: Itinerary help

Firstly, consider the number of full days you'd like to spend sightseeing and exploring, rather than the number of nights sleeping. 2 nights = only 1 full day (enough really?).

Sapa? I'd recommend an overnight train rather than gamble with the safety of a night bus. (There are day buses, but that's more daytime travel wasted.)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
8,171 posts
156 reviews
2. Re: Itinerary help

I don’t think it gives you enough time to visit villages , this is just a city tour. I would consider cutting out Vientiane and fly straight to Luang Prabang. Vientiane to Luang Prabang will take about 10 hours by bus. Sapa takes about 6 hours each way by bus and as said maybe not a good time to visit, consider Ninh Binh instead only 2 hours from Hanoi.

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
150 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: Itinerary help

Some people don't want to visit villages to gawk at the locals. Your trip is doable but I would fly between Vientiane and Luang Prabang. Bus travel can be onerous.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,598 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: Itinerary help

Three days in LP will enable you to go some some villages if you take a boat to the Pak Ou caves and if you go for a a wander on the other side of the river. You do not want to miss Vientiane as there are museums and many interesting places to visit. If you do wish to go to Halong Bay, maybe one more day in Hanoi if you could manage it. Personally I would give Halong Bay a miss and do a tour of the countryside around Hanoi.

5. Re: Itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:08 am, June 27, 2018

Reply to: Itinerary help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted