We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Huay Xai to Luang Prabang by boat

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
50 reviews
Huay Xai to Luang Prabang by boat

Hi. I want to take the slow boat from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang. Does anyone know if any of the boat companies have a stop at the Pak Ou caves? I would rather not have to take a separate boat tour from Luang Prabang.

5 replies to this topic
puerto princesa
Level Contributor
8,013 posts
449 reviews
1. Re: Huay Xai to Luang Prabang by boat

The boat will not stop at the caves as they are north of LP. You have to take a tour from LP, or go by public transport or motorbike to the village across from the caves and arrange for a boat to take you across the river. Although the caves are worth seeing , they will be very crowded. I think it would be best to visit late afternoon as most of the tour would have returned to LP by then

London, UK
Level Contributor
217 posts
55 reviews
2. Re: Huay Xai to Luang Prabang by boat

I believe the private boat companies - Mekong Smile, Shompoo, Nagi of Mekong, Luang Say - make a stop at the caves as part of their itinerary, but not the Public boat.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
3,023 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: Huay Xai to Luang Prabang by boat

Britchick is correct - the private boats (Nagi, Shompoo etc) stop at the caves and at various villages on the 2 day slow boat trip. The cheaper public boats do not make the tourist stops. All slow boats stop overnight at Pak Beng.

Edited: 7:37 am, May 10, 2018
Las Animas, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,344 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Huay Xai to Luang Prabang by boat

I’m booked on the Ngai this coming November, they make several stops along the way including Pak Ou caves and overnight in Pak Beng.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
50 reviews
5. Re: Huay Xai to Luang Prabang by boat

Awesome. Thanks for the info, everyone. I visited Pak Ou back in the late 90s and want to take my wife there.

Reply to: Huay Xai to Luang Prabang by boat
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted