We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Initial concerns about travelling south to north Laos

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Initial concerns about travelling south to north Laos

After travelling in the south of Thailand solo (and having a blast), I went across to Cambodia to travel with a friend from home for a few weeks.

After he left, I thought it logical to go across the border into Laos and travel north and back into Thailand for Chang Mai etc. Being in my first Lao hostel I have got the impression from other travellers that this goes against the grain of the usual backpacker circuit.

I have no issues meeting new people overall but I don't really want to get stuck in a rut of meeting people I would like to travel with only to find that they are going the way I just came from.

Almost considering going to Bangkok and travelling north from there but it is a bit of a waste of time and money (especially considering I just bought a Laos visa).

Any solo travellers on here who did Laos south to north? Would be great to here you experience of it.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,094 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Initial concerns about travelling south to north Laos

Unfortunately most travellers go north to south, so it will be more difficult to find people to travel all the way. However, if you are currently on Don Det (whihc is the usual first stop coming from Cambodia), you should be able to meet some of the travellers who have arrived from Cambodia as well -.as they exist as well (just not in that amount).

I would be reluctant to leave laos again, then go to bangkok to fly to Chaing Rai to cross the border again.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,505 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Initial concerns about travelling south to north Laos

There ias another post from a few weeks ago about someone travelling south to north. There is absolutely no reason why you should not go this way. Meeting fellow tourists who have travelled in the opposite direction might in fact be a boon as they can give you advice. Going back to Bangkok is silly.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,652 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Initial concerns about travelling south to north Laos

I went south from Cambodia right up to the north-east, it was not a problem at all. I understand you mean you will only meet people going the opposite direction, that maybe true to a certain extent but there are still some going north, as Rufuscat says that can be a blessing, some people you don't want to be stuck with for weeks. Also they can help you plan and tell you where to stay and visit. i agree don't go back to Bangkok.

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Initial concerns about travelling south to north Laos

Seeing the same people at every stop along the way can also be boring and repetitive, like taking the Oz Experience bus from Sydney to Cairns (obscure reference perhaps ;-) Going the other direction you can still meet up with loads of fellow travellers, and swap stories about what lies ahead. If you get lonely find a backpacker hub and stay longer (Don Det, Vang Vieng, etc.) You will also find some going your way. Unlike southern Thailand, Laos can be more often a chance to strike out on your own.

5. Re: Initial concerns about travelling south to north Laos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 22, 2017