We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Central Kyrgyzstan in May

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
24 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in Central Kyrgyzstan in May

We want to travel to Song Kol and Naryn in mid-May this year and will be coming from the Fergana Valley and will then head on to Issyk-kul. Two questions:

1/ Are the passes open at this time of year to get across from Jalal-Abad via Kazarman to Naryn?

2/ Are the access routes up to Song-Kul open at the same time - I understand that the lake may be frozen but we consider the visit still worthwhile.

Many Thanks,

Maxidog.

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Central Kyrgyzstan in May

I crossed over the Tourugart in late April. It was chilly, but not arctic. There was certainly snow in the highlands.

The main reason to visit Song-kul is for the lake and the herders with their Yurts. There isn't really much point otherwise. Clearly things vary from year to year, but you should be able to get up there (although there will be nothing once you arrive)

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
24 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Central Kyrgyzstan in May

Hi lil,

Thanks for the response - its good to know that someone has traveled these routes at that time of year and made it through. We were hoping that the herders would be migrating up to the higher pastures by the time we get to Song-Kul (approx 18th May). As you say, not much point if they aren't as it will be just another frozen lake otherwise (we will have travelled past Karakol in Tajikistan so will have already seen such).

Thanks again

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Central Kyrgyzstan in May

I am planning to visit Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan this April, originally, we put Song Kol in our itinerary, but our agent told us that Song Kol won't be open until June.

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
24 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Central Kyrgyzstan in May

Interesting.

Who is your agent as a matter of interest and how are you travelling? Are they Kyrgyz or Tajik?

Will probably see you out there.

Kind Regards,

perth
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in Central Kyrgyzstan in May

When I was there last year there was nothing open. I crossed the Irkeshtam pass on April 2 after it had been closed for 2 days because of snow. That early in the season nothing was open so I moved on to Uzbekistan. The trip to Kg was not a waste cos I still went to Osh and Arslanbob and looked around Bishkek. I enjoyed what I got to see and might go back one day at a better time to see the rest. It is not a total loss if you dont get to the north but a bit of a let down .

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
24 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in Central Kyrgyzstan in May

We tried this out anyway so here is the answer, at least for May 2011.

Road from Jalalabad to Naryn (via Kaserman) was closed at the pass due to an avalanche (road gone...).

There hasn't been a lot of snow in the Central Asian region over the 2010-2011 winter, hence, things are a little better than normal in May.

Road from Balakchi up to Naryn was completely accessible and we even travelled up to Song Kul without a problem although the lake was frozen over.

7. Re: Weather in Central Kyrgyzstan in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, October 11, 2012